• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil gauge question...

90xjsumner

NAXJA Forum User
so my oil gauge for the last year has been at max so I figured its just broken but now every once in a while my motor will run kinda funny and the gauge will be working, then after about a day the motor runs normal again and is stuck on hi again.... any Ideas??

:smoker:

Replace the sensor. Make sure you get the sensor for the gauge package, and not the go/no-go sender for the idiot light package. It's not unknown for these to fail.

:variety: Check your grounds.. Battery to block, eng to frame, and valve cover to fire wall
I think that's how 3 of them go?

Last edited:
There are a few things you should do/try Before assuming anything. To make sure that the sensor wire is good. Before you start the vehicle, disconnect the cable from the sensor. IF the gauge reads '0' ground the cable connector and see if anything changes on the gauge. If not, then the sensor is usually not working.

If you have access or go buy a cheapie mech. oil gauge from HF or some place. Remove the sensor, connect the gauge start the vehicle up, check pressure at idle, and also rev the engine to a higher RPM and check readings. IF they are close/where they need to be, then replace the sensor. Check to make sure it works, after you install it.

Back