• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil in spring

Crazyy_Carey

NAXJA Forum User
I'm so confused, for the past 3 hours i've been online searching and i've came up with s*** because earlier this week i saw an xj with a shock in coil. how do you do it, and whats the purpose of it, any answer would be greatly appreciated.

I MEANT TO PUT SPRING IN COIL AS THE TITLE

Last edited:
Are you trying to say "Coil-overs"?

if you have to ask in such a way, you should keep your stock suspension, or modify it slightly using pre-engineered kits... there are no bolt on coilover kits.

He may have seen one of those suspension booster kits they sell at speed shops. They consist of 2 coils, and bolt on spring cups. The result is like one of those bolt on-booster springs.

Edit: Actual coil overs (as apposed to a booster kit) provide adjustability to the suspension. By adjusting a collar on body of the shock, you can change the spring rate. Often the shocks that come with these kits are also adjustable.

Ron

Last edited:
Or he may have seen the shocks I run on the rear. Monroe sensatrac load adjusting shocks. They have a coil spring wrapped around them to provide a level ride when the vehicle is loaded. I get about 1/2 - 3/4 inch of lift from them.
They basically gave me back the amount of sag in the leafs.

no i was on jks' website looking at their a.c.o.s. and then i was looking at built xj's and i saw that most of them had a coilover and i just wanted to know what the purpose of them were.

no i was just looking at the a.c.o.s. and it kinda reminded me of a coilover, i'm so lost its unbelievable haha i'm about to just drop the subject haha

I get what you are saying, yes the ACOS is used similar to coil overs, but the shock has nothing to do with it. The ACOS is just a coil spacer that can be adjusted to different heights, but since it sits on top of the coil thats all it does.

Where as an adjustable coil over sandwiches the coil between the adjuster, and the shock, so as you make adjustments, it will raise or lower ride hight, and by containing the coil within the shock, you can squeeze or expand the coil changing the spring rate.

Wow guys he said he is taking about a coilover, come on read! A coilover is just that, a coilspring with a shock on the inside. The spring supports the weight like a normal one does and the shock provides the rebound and compressing control. The cool thing about having it built all together is that it is more narrow so you can fit it in tight places and don't need complex mounts. You also have alot more adjustablity. You can change ride height, have two or sometime three different springs with different rates, tune the shock for compression and rebound and other things. They are more expensive and require fab work to put in which is why you see most racers, or dedicated trails rigs and street trucks run them.

Wow guys he said he is taking about a coilover, come on read! A coilover is just that, a coilspring with a shock on the inside. The spring supports the weight like a normal one does and the shock provides the rebound and compressing control. The cool thing about having it built all together is that it is more narrow so you can fit it in tight places and don't need complex mounts. You also have alot more adjustablity. You can change ride height, have two or sometime three different springs with different rates, tune the shock for compression and rebound and other things. They are more expensive and require fab work to put in which is why you see most racers, or dedicated trails rigs and street trucks run them.

im glad you know what he's talking about, cause he doesnt.

Back