• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with pitman arm install!!

Ben_Dyer

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I rushed into my steering box removal the other weekend and did not read the instructions on the correct way to remove the steering stuff. i did not mark the relationship of the pitman arm to the steering box shaft. but i did tie off the steering wheel to keep it from moving. but now its time for install and i can NOT get the splines to mesh up correctly and keep the tires straight. if i turn them to driverside lock i can get it on but nowhere else. so what now?

I just got done doing the same thing like two hours ago... haha... what I did was just moved the wheel a little bit and the pitman arm slid up a little bit. I than but on the nut and wahsher and tighted as much and I could with a 33mm socket and wrachet, than with a impact wrench. I believe you only want to put 200 pounds of pressure on it, thats what i did on mine.

>>>>make sure you have it on there straight<<<

did yours have four splines that were "double splines" at the twelve, three, six and nine o'clock positions? they are twice as wide as the other splines. those are the one i cant get to line up.

Center the box--run the box to left lock, back to right lock, then slowly turn the wheel counting the turns until you get back to left lock, divide by two, turn to the right that number of turns. Try it then.

And the correct torque for the nut is 185 ft lbs.

Also, if you put the front axle up on jackstands, you can just move the front tires back and forth to help get the pitman back on.

well i was able to get it on however center in the turn puts my wheel upside down....

how does one tighten to nut without the wheels turning?

Last edited:
You didn't get something centered. If you didn't change anything else in the front suspension, you probably put the pitman arm or input shaft on cocked to one side. How many turns from center to lock, both directions?

You didn't get something centered. If you didn't change anything else in the front suspension, you probably put the pitman arm or input shaft on cocked to one side. How many turns from center to lock, both directions?

Mostly agree with hubs97xj, except it might not be something you did. You could always pull the steering wheel and rotate, then re-install, if you are sure of your turn count.

it was three and a half turns lock to lock, so at 1.5 i was able to put the pitman arm on with the wheels straight. the wheels reach full lock to both sides at the same time as the wheel though....

I would just move the steering wheel and call it good.

sounds good to me. it will give me a chance to see if the wires in my cruise are shorting causing it to turn on and off...

Check your vacuum supply and the clutch/brake pedal switches, couple of common problem areas with cruise.

What year is yours? You may be in for a new clockspring now if it's a 95 or later... :(

all have been checked and accounted for working properly. its either in the wheel or in the cruse module thing

and mine is a 98 sport. why would i need a new clock spring?

all have been checked and accounted for working properly. its either in the wheel or in the cruse module thing

and mine is a 98 sport. why would i need a new clock spring?

The later ones seem to develop spotty contact and give intermittent cruise operation.

Back