• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 carrier

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i know there is a carrier break for the D30 3:55-3:73. I've looked around and see there fairly cheap but where is the best place to buy?

ive used just differentials and they have treated me extremly well... and they are a sponsor

There are thick cut gearsets available that allow you to use your existing carrier. If you get a new carrier, take some sandpaper or a flap wheel and smooth out all sharp edges of the openings in the center of the carrier. These areas are stress risers and can allow cracks to develop resulting in failure of the carrier.

There are thick cut gearsets available that allow you to use your existing carrier. If you get a new carrier, take some sandpaper or a flap wheel and smooth out all sharp edges of the openings in the center of the carrier. These areas are stress risers and can allow cracks to develop resulting in failure of the carrier.

Never seen thick gears for a D30,got a link?

Ok so just an update on my thoughts and what i plan to do reguarding my D30. I'm going to be getting a D30 out of my bosses 94 YJ already geared to 4:56. The problem is that its the Disco D30. Mine being the Non disco i want to remove his carrier/ gear set and stick in mine. Free gears and carrier with low miles. Now what is it i need to take into consideration befor i just yank carrier/ring gear and pinion gear out of it? Will an installer (NOT ME) need to get the Back lash #'s to set up again properly? I'd really like to pull everything and throw the housing in the dumpster and have what i need when it comes time to buy install kits and rear gear set.

Ok so just an update on my thoughts and what i plan to do reguarding my D30. I'm going to be getting a D30 out of my bosses 94 YJ already geared to 4:56. The problem is that its the Disco D30. Mine being the Non disco i want to remove his carrier/ gear set and stick in mine. Free gears and carrier with low miles. Now what is it i need to take into consideration befor i just yank carrier/ring gear and pinion gear out of it? Will an installer (NOT ME) need to get the Back lash #'s to set up again properly? I'd really like to pull everything and throw the housing in the dumpster and have what i need when it comes time to buy install kits and rear gear set.
As long as the donor axle is high pinion, the installer will just need the shims to install it correctly. It would be best to go ahead and buy a complete install kit unless the bearings are new. You will also need new seals. It can be tried with the existing shims to see if you got lucky and it fits right but chances are it won't.
Another option would be to swap in your one piece passenger side shaft and install the correct seal in the disco housing then installteh disco housing in your rig with a blockoff plate. This would save you the cost of setup as the setup won't change just from removing and reinstalling the carrier (this is necessary to install the axle seal on the passenger side).

Setting up used gears can be a bitch,definately pull a pattern(w/pics) and get the backlash settings.Personally new gears are inexpensive when combined with install kits.Who's going to do the install(labor cost also)?

If you bring your gears to me to do and they setup with no need for changing the shims then I will do it for a much lower price than normal. If you're interested, shoot me a PM for price.

Back