• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating please help

phillyxj570

NAXJA Forum User
ok so my 96 was over heating changed t-stat and water pump.after i changed them i got an air bubble. got rid of air bubble and it ran at 210 for bout one day.

now four days later after bout a half hour of driving its up to 240. if i turn the heat on it will drop to 195-210 and stay there steadily only to fluctuate a little bit while idling at a light and drop right back down as soon as i start driving.

but as soon as i turn the heat off the temp jumps right back up to 240 and over. i have a 97 engine in it with a closed cooling system in it. does anyone have any ideas

Gotta ask--closed system? No cap on the radiator? Its Ok if that is what you have put into it, just checking.

Anyway, that fluctuating would seem to indicate AIR is still in the system. What pressure bottle are you using for the closed system, and where is it mounted?

Did you put a quality thermostat in it--like a Stant SuperStat Premium, or second choice an OEM dealer one?

EDIT: actually, lets back up and discuss the original overheating first.

Thread Hi-Jack!

I am having difficulty locating Stant products in my new hometown. I went to Stant's website dealer locator and the two places listed (Napa and an independent) both said no, we don't carry stant.

Does Kragen-O'Reilly or Auto-Zone carry stant?

Feel free to return to your normal discusion

NAPA DORK COUNTER DUDE. The "Premium" thermostat at NAPA is a Stant.

They are dirt cheap from rockauto.com; my local AutoZone doesn't carry anything but Chinese/India/Mexico.

Usually the independent parts stores will have them--they live off the quality of the parts they sell, the chains do not.

originally it was hitting 240 so i changed the t-stat and water pump both from napa. after changing them got air pocket and it would hit 260 in under five mins and shut the engine down. got rid of air pocket and its still at 240 unless i have heat on then it will run at 195. both my e- fan and fan clutch are working properly. radiator is good. i have the overflow mounted where they were originally by pass. side windshield.trying to locate open system at jy to put in it. could it be something as stupid as a bad temp sending unit ?

Back