• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wipers work all the time

a.l.v11

NAXJA Forum User
I just resently got a 99 XJ in a trade and it had some problems I have been fixing things on it slowly. But one thing tha I notice is the the wipers work and the power window work not matter if the key is forward or not. I want to know if this is some thing common the XJ or should I start to look for a wire that is getting power when i shouldn't. I did a search but no one has posted anything simlar to what i have. thanks for any help

Alan

Power windows should NOT function with key off--kids left in car, windows down for air, one kid sticks head out the window, other kid rolls the window up--dead kid.

Some people will bypass this safety feature because they want the windows to work with the key off, you should fix the system.

Can't answer your question on the wipers, mine don't run with the key off.

The key might not really be golng all the way to the correct position. For a while, my key would pull out without everygoing to the right position. I killed one battery because of this. I pulled the lock cylinder out of the steering column, lubed it up good with graphite, and that seemed to have fixed it up for now. Try wiggleing the key more to see if it settles into a position where the windows and wipers don't work.

Found the problem. the previus owner decied to hook up the raido wrong. He put the red/white wire together with the the pink wire. So the battery was alway supplying the accessories. Thank for your input.

Alan

Good find! I'm surprised the fuse didn't blow on the 'pink' circuit. Not sure of the later models, but in the earlier ones, the pink is the hot for most if not all of the interior lighting, including the vanity mirrors on the sun visors.

Back