• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just bought 2001 xj, has engine problems..

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
like the title says, i just bought a black 2001 cherokee 4.0 auto with 124,000 miles for $3,000. needs a front bumper and header panel and new shocks. also has whats sounds to be a bottom end knock or loose flexplate? and when i rev the motor the valvetrain gets REALLY noisy-raspy would be a good word. no check engine lights or driveabilty issues. the body is cherry besides the front end(really slow impact on front bumper) and the interior is super nice also. from what i can tell the head has been off but i havent dug into it yet to find the problems. so what am i looking for and where? this is my 3rd xj and ive had a renix mj but never had the 97+ body style/motor setup..i bought this thing to use as my work vehicle/weekend toy. any help is really apreciatted. i plan on doing a full write up with pics and all when i start wrenchin on it.

well if the head has been off then hopefully that means it has been replaced. The 00-01 0331 oem castings crack very easily. Can you take a video of the noise and post it up on youtube and then post the link here?

well if the head has been off then hopefully that means it has been replaced. The 00-01 0331 oem castings crack very easily. Can you take a video of the noise and post it up on youtube and then post the link here?

i will try that this weekend. im going to try to smog it tomorrow.. well see what happens.

Sounds like it has already had the 0331 crack and they replaced it.... how is oil pressure after running it for at least 20 minutes? is it at 15 or below ? If so it probably has the bearings worn from coolant going into the oil which is where it goes with the 0331 and not into the cylinders.

Around here you can get a header (unpainted) for $65 and a bumper for $35. Check the support between the front "Frame" member for being tweaked. Mine was.

Check the head number by cylinder 3. If your oil pressure is low, you can replace just the con rod bearings and it will come back to normal. It really isn't that difficult. Replace the rear main seal while you do that.

I bought a 1998 with 125K within the last year for a little more than what you paid but he engine is really tight and I get 21 MPG on the hiway. I really like the 97+ body. I also have a 90 and 91. Like them all!

didnt get to smog it today...put a new rear axle in my quad... but i can tell you oil pressure at idle after driving an hour is sittin aroung 13-15. after the smog im going to pull the pan and check it all out. and at the same time take off the valve cover and check everything i can under there also. and im going ebay for the header panel..75 shipped brand new. and im going to buying a winch ready bumper when i have some xtra dough.

Get a mechanical oil pressure gauge--rent, beg, borrow, don't steal--and test your oil pressure. Cheap-A** oil filters with nitrile rubber anti-drainback valves have been reported to give low oil pressure readings, get a quality filter with a silicone valve in it like a Wix or NAPA Gold. Specs for the 4.0 engine is 13 psi at idle; general is about 10 psi per 1,000 RPM.

Is the OFA--oil filter adapter--leaking? That will give you lower pressure readings. The sending units are notorious for going bad, and the aftermarket senders don't have a very good reputation at all--I recommend dealer or NAPA.

Get a mechanical oil pressure gauge--rent, beg, borrow, don't steal--and test your oil pressure. Cheap-A** oil filters with nitrile rubber anti-drainback valves have been reported to give low oil pressure readings, get a quality filter with a silicone valve in it like a Wix or NAPA Gold. Specs for the 4.0 engine is 13 psi at idle; general is about 10 psi per 1,000 RPM.

Is the OFA--oil filter adapter--leaking? That will give you lower pressure readings. The sending units are notorious for going bad, and the aftermarket senders don't have a very good reputation at all--I recommend dealer or NAPA.

it does have oil dripping from the oil filter...so my guess is, it is leaking. and its got a super cheapy oil filter. been working to late to wrench or smog it but hopefully saturday i can get to it.

where is the 0331 casting number on the head? couldnt find it..

About halfway down on the driver's side of the head...right below the lip of the valve cover. If the valve cover's been leaking much you may have to clear the oil off of the head to read the casting number.

where is the 0331 casting number on the head? couldnt find it..
Drivers side of the VC, on the top of the head close to cylinder 3. Bottom of the numbers are on the edge of the casting towards the manifolds.

Joe, as always, is right about the oil filter. I have stopped using FRAM because of low oil pressure indications when using it. Not always consistant as it varies from filter to filter, but that is reason enough.

i do have the 0331 head. sooo what do i do? it is still running...but it does get hot(220-230) easy if sitting at a stop light or in traffic. on the freeway it stays pretty cool though which is mainly most of my driving.

i do have the 0331 head. sooo what do i do? it is still running...but it does get hot(220-230) easy if sitting at a stop light or in traffic. on the freeway it stays pretty cool though which is mainly most of my driving.

you replace the head asap before it causes anymore problems!!!

you replace the head asap before it causes anymore problems!!!

well i figured that much. i cant afford it till wednesday.. what should i buy? i saw some rebuilt heads on ebaymotors and i checked out alabama heads...ebays are almost half the price...of course i wont get the 0331 casting... what are the other casting numbers that will work for my engine?

well i figured that much. i cant afford it till wednesday.. what should i buy? i saw some rebuilt heads on ebaymotors and i checked out alabama heads...ebays are almost half the price...of course i wont get the 0331 casting... what are the other casting numbers that will work for my engine?

0630. You'll need 5qts of oil, and oil filter, a gallon of coolant, some time, and a few wrenches. I would also buy new head bolts. Does the heads your looking at come with valves?

i'd go with the first one. and get the cast with 0630

Back