• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK Shocks for 3" lift

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Did some reading and found that some people are using stock JK shocks as a replacement for 3-4" of lift.

I realized there's some minor modding that needs to be done, but i'm curious as to what the ride quality is like?

If they ride fairly comfortable i'll be all over this as a cheap alternative to $200+ shocks.

Anyone got experience with JK shocks on their Cherokee?

*forehead slap* :lecture: Search!

I guess I will save you the effort :D
They are great for for a 3'' lift. 4'' is kinda pushing it, as any severe
wheeling will cause the shocks to limit travel. I personally run them,
and love the crap outta them. Great ride for an awesome price! The
steering stabilizer from a JK will also fit. The Rubicon JK (red & black)
will ride stiffer, and cost more. I would advise getting the plain 'ole
black ones.

The A.D.D. answer: BUY THEM! Great ride for a great price.

*edit* i see you searched...good job! :party:

Last edited:
Just snagged some off of Ebay for $45 shipped to my door... They're the black ones and supposedly have 50 miles on em.

I've got a mixed 3" lift I got in a trade and have been needing shocks in order to get it ready to install... and having a tight budget these shocks will help afford other parts =)

I have the red rubicon set on my RE 3.5 springs. The rears have lots of room left but the fronts are only about 1" longer than stock XJ shocks and are too short for anything more severe than a pothole. The ZJ front shocks are longer and are also bolt on, so might be better choice for the front.

Mine were stiff at first but everything has settled in pretty well now after 9 months of use.

ehall, the stock ZJ shocks are longer and direct bolt in? And does anyone know what needs to be done to the rear JK shocks for them to be ready to bolt in?

I'm trying to get my bastard lift together so it's less work once I can get my buddy to help install everything.

You just have to press out the little sleaves that are in the lower bushing. I did mine with a socket/extension and a "c" clamp. Oh and you have to put your bar pins from the old shocks on the new shocks

I have the JK Rubicon shocks on my 2001 XJ with 3.5" lift. I've had no problem, and they feel fine on the road.

Talked to the guys at the local 4 Wheel Parts. When a JK came in for a lift, they asked the owner if he wanted his OEM shocks. He said no and they sold them to me for $20 with only a few thousand miles on it.

Someone else mentioned e-bay...good option, but consider the local 4x4 shop. Get to know the guys and gives you an excuse to hang out there.

Easy enough.

How much of a lift do they accommodate? My lift is around 3" give or take

I'm at 3 in the front and 3.5 in the back. After careful measuring i think the rear is perfect length.

In the front, i would like the shock 3/4 to an 1 inch longer to be perfect. But for my type fo driving the length is just fine.

I run the Rubicon shocks and love the ride. Mine were a freebie from the Jeep shop. They were even labled with year and mileage - 836 miles.

I don't see how these would fit 4" or even 3" lift. They are fully extended when installed on my 4.5" lift so that would only leave about 1.5-2" of downtravel on a 3" lift. I tried to fit em but ended up not working out so I was gonna move the axle mounts up but then the shock can is way too long and only allows about 2" uptravel.

hmm.... I stuffed the each wheel into the wheel well. At full extension i came up about 3/4 to an inch short in the front. On mine the set up fell almost perfectly in the middle of shock travel.

Granted my rig is far from extreme in travel and i have no intention of disconnecting my sway bar as my rig is for mild trail work. I break out the buggy for the extreme stuff. All can say, is they seem to work great for me.

Back