• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent Taillight issue.

njjeepthing

NAXJA Forum User
While following me the other day, my buddy called my cell to tell me I had a tail light out, than 5 minutes later he called me back and said it's back on. This cycle repeated for our whole trip!! (330 miles!)

I have brake and blinker just no tail light, The bulb is fine(I tried a new one just in case) and the socket seams to be fine since it lights the brake light up.

So I am not sure where I should start looking? Trace the wire back and look for a short or crack? Since it's intermittent, I'm really not sure what to try first.

Thanks.:wow:

Same thing happens to me on my pasenger side. I have yet to address the issue becaus eit stays on most of the time lol. But I suspect a poor connection at the connector inside the trim in the cargo area on that side. If I hit my corner behind the light it tends to come back on which is why I suspect it. Hope my guess helps. I'll keep you posted if I fix mine (if I get to it).

What kind of shape are your lower rear quarter panels in?

When mine were rotted out (before I had them fixed), stuff would get kicked up off the tires and build up on the connectors on the lights, causing intermittents and such.

Start at the socket, lights on, and start jiggling the harness, moving away from the socket until you get to the problem.

Like Joe said, start at the socket. Just because the brake light side works doesn't mean that the tail light pin is making good contact. With the bulb out, work the bottom of the socket in and out and make sure that it moves freely.

Back