• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lots of heat by my feat...why?

hopper720

NAXJA Forum User
In my 97 there is an abundance of heat coming out of the vent thats by the gas pedal. The heat is totally turned off and their isn't any AC. Whats going on? I find it hard to imagine that every XJ blows this hot all the time.

any ideas?

There is a rubber plug in the firewall that has a nasty habit of falling apart. As it sets next to the exhaust, heat/noise comes into the cabin. I think there was a TSB on it...

My '97 did the exact same thing so, IMO this would be the problem. Easy fix, either replace the grommet or, put a piece of gorilla tape over the hole.

If it isn't the firewall plug, could be a broke door in the heat/air box, the 97+ have a common problem with that.

Did you check the passenger's side for heat?

the passenger side doesnt blow any heat out. where is that hole located in the firewall, easier to get at from inside the cabin or under the car or what?

There is a rubber plug in the firewall that has a nasty habit of falling apart. As it sets next to the exhaust, heat/noise comes into the cabin. I think there was a TSB on it...

My '97 did the exact same thing so, IMO this would be the problem. Easy fix, either replace the grommet or, put a piece of gorilla tape over the hole.
same with my 97'. the hole lets engine heat and noise into the cabin. i found the hole going through deep water, when my feet got wet all i had to do was follow the water behind the dash and there it was.

Back