• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ leaf Springs 4 trailer ?

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
I have my old rear XJ leaf Springs left over from when I lifted my jeep. And thinking of re-using them for a 4-0 x 8-0 trailer I'm making. I'm only planning to use the trailer to tow my riding lawn mowers around town. Being that the XJ weight 3,000LB,.. So both leaf together can handle just over 1,500LB and thats more that I'm ever planning to tow.

Is there any reason not to ?

I'll using a 3,500LB trailer axle costing me $120 with the same size tires and bolt pattern I have on my Jeep 30x9.5. And maybe adding some shocks to keep the trailer from bouncing around.

www.BlueXJ.com

I just redid a tandem axle, using 10k lb dexter house trailer axles. Anything can be done, when you put the proper thought into it, and make a good design..

A member here, Gojeep, built a trailer using XJ rear springs. He's taken it all over Australia. Here's his plans and comments:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTrailerPlans1.htm
Worth a look. Pay attention to where he talks about spring mount geometry. Also, for a utility/garden tractor trailer(as opposed to an off-road trailer) You might want to use smaller tires(small trailer tire on a 14" rim) instead of the full size Jeep tires. Having matching spares isn't as important for the utility trailer. Also, smaller tiers put the load deck closer to the ground, making drive-on and -off easier.

I'm hoping with XJ leaf it will travel (ride) behind me better that u-haul trailer do.
If my jeep was a body on frame I would not mind using trailer springs.

Back