• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fog light question

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
Can i mount any fog lights to the stock wiring or do i need to run stock fog lights. i have a 90 xj

Stock wiring is pretty crappy, and really can't handle the draw from aftermarket fog lights.

Have the stock wiring trigger a relay, which will then power the lights through heavier gauge wire. This way you can use the stock switch, and not melt any wires.

X2. Heck, the stock wiring really can't even handle stock fog lights. My switch gets warm to the touch after a few minutes of operation.

If you had OE fogs then they already go through a relay. You can just splice into the wires behind the bumper.
Aftermarket fogs will likely use a 55W bulb just like the OE and you'll be fine.

I replaced the OE fogs on both my XJs (92 & 99) with Hellas and never had a problem with the stock wiring.

I suggest you get the waterproof crimp connectors for your splices. After you crimp them, you heat them and it melts inside making a waterproof connection.

If you had OE fogs then they already go through a relay. You can just splice into the wires behind the bumper.
Aftermarket fogs will likely use a 55W bulb just like the OE and you'll be fine.

I replaced the OE fogs on both my XJs (92 & 99) with Hellas and never had a problem with the stock wiring.

I suggest you get the waterproof crimp connectors for your splices. After you crimp them, you heat them and it melts inside making a waterproof connection.

Yes the factory fogs are already wired through a relay .....

But if you look at the FSM wiring manual .... and how the relay is utilised .... The reason for switch and wiring issues is readily apparrent.

To the O.P.

Use the factory wire to trigger a new relay and light setup if you wish to reduce electrical problems ...

While your at it ... maybe do the headlight wiring upgrade ??? .... Both tasks are identical in general principle.

thanks for the info guys. I will let you know how it turns out.

I fiddled with mine for a few days and learned a bunch of useful wiring information along the way. I wired my new 55W driving lights to the OE wiring and kept blowing the fuse. I was ready to replace the wiring with 12 gauge, then found a short at the connector end that was causing the fuse issue.

I'm running OE wiring and nary a bit o' trouble with that setup. Now I'm getting ready to run rock lights and feel like I know what I'm doing (finally).

Back