• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering gear box help

XJ97OFFROAD

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 4.0 4x4 xj with a manuel steering gear box and can't figure out how to get the steering column off the back of the box... I need help please... I am leaving Fort Leonard Wood tuesday and have to have a vehicle to drive back to Springfield MO so if you can tell me how to do so I would appreciate it. - know that you have to have a pitman arm puller to get the pitman arm off... Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks NAXJA members!!!

There is a bolt that is in the lower u joint on the intermediate steering shaft that squeezes the coupler to the splines on the Steering box. The bolt has to be loosened and removed to free the shaft from the box.

There is a bolt that is in the lower u joint on the intermediate steering shaft that squeezes the coupler to the splines on the Steering box. The bolt has to be loosened and removed to free the shaft from the box.

I am not familiar w/your set-up but it's my understanding the above is true....

its underneath the rad hose in this pic:

IMG_2605.jpg

and do yourself a HUGE favor and tie the steering wheel off before you disconnect it. The clock spring for the air bags doesn't like to be "unwound" if it turns too far.

I got the new one in and it drive and move all about, but one little problem... there is a whining coming from under the hood, as if I was low on power steering fluid. I put almost a whole quart in after i installed it. i checked the lines they tight and there are no pinches or kinks. Is there something I am missing?

I also got power steering fluid in my eye... and it hurts a little... lmao

are there bubbles when you look in it?
if its foamy looking, there is just a little air in there maybe.

let it sit with the cap off for a few hours.
that should let the air out.

there was a little foamyness... if that is a word... but i let it set for about 30 min or so i did not see any more and put more power steering fluid in it. I drove it about 70 miles and it is still doing it, i am letting it sent now and will check it in about two hours

yeah no worries on the foaminess.. ..mine was the same way, and whined like you describe at first as well.
i just let it sit, and then it was fine.

maybe its got too much fluid in it?
i don't think it needs to be topped off, maybe 1" or 1.5" or so below the top?
im no expert..

If it doesn't quiet down, put the front end up on jack stands, start the engine and have a helper SLOWLY move the wheel to full lock right, then SLOWLY back to full lock left--all the time you should be observing the fluid level in the pump's reservoir. Keep repeating until the level doesn't drop.

I got the new one in and it drive and move all about, but one little problem... there is a whining coming from under the hood, as if I was low on power steering fluid. I put almost a whole quart in after i installed it. i checked the lines they tight and there are no pinches or kinks. Is there something I am missing?

I also got power steering fluid in my eye... and it hurts a little... lmao

The noise is air cavitating in the pump. Lift the front off the ground so there's no resistance, turn the wheel lock to lock slowly, let it rest to settle, turn it more, rest more, etc. You need to get the air out. Takes a while

Back