• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there any benefit to replacing the cylinder head?

gistecknician

NAXJA Forum User
I am a preventative maintenance nut! Is there any performance benefit to replacing a stock cylinder head just for the purpose of replacing it? I enjoy the added experience gained by working on my Jeep, and will at times replace components just to know that it has been replaced, and that I can replace it.

Just curious as to the benefits (if any) to replacing my cylinder head out with a remanufactured one (new internals). I am looking for useful replies, so please keep the wisecracks to a minimum.

Thanks

1996 XJ, Converted to 4WD. 4.0 242 I6
AW4 w/ NP242 (NP231 on my bench being rebuilt as we speak)

Don't fix something that isn't broken. If you do it, without having done it before, you may cause more harm then good. I suggest helping a friend replace his or hear blown head gasket or cracked head to get some good experience before you do your own. Also, don't forget that when replacing the head, you need new head bolts, oil change, radiator flush. It costs a lot of money to do the job right. So the answer is no, a new head with not gain you more performance unless you are experiencing compression issues ex. head gasket, cracked head.

i just noticed that you said new internals with the new head. So, if your experiencing issues with your valves being burnt, warped, etc. Then you could notice a gain in performance. But again, if everything is running good with no complaints, i do not suggest replacement.

Well, if you have the time and $$ and want to do it for "the fun of it", I say go for it.

However, as already stated, be prepared to notice no difference unless there is a problem with your existing head.

Also be prepared to uncover (or create) other problems like broken bolts and the temptation to do even more now that it's apart.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it.

Often the replacement parts folks buy are a lower quality part than the manufacturer installed. Your practice can result in making the vehicle less reliable if you're not careful.

If you have the time and money, go buy another complete engine, tear it down, rebuild it, then you will have the hands-on experience and knowledge that comes with doing.

No, I wouldn't replace a head just for the experience of it.

Or better yet buy another 4.0 and build a mild stroker out of it. That will give you basic tear down and rebuild practice and increase power when built.

Thanks everyone, I think I will go with a junkyard LB and completely rebuild it. I got the go ahead from the "BOSS" to buy a small car to drive back and forth to work, so I can finally start having fun with the XJ.

Just to give you an idea of my mindset; if I built the hell out of this thing and never wheeled it, I wouldn't be the slightest disappointed. I just love building things from the ground up, and watching the mechanical components work. I am a Geographical Information Systems Analyst by day, so everything I typically do is in a virtual world.

Plus I love the weird looks from colleagues when I show up to a Monday morning senior staff meeting with that slight black hue of grease that I couldn't get off my cuticles from wrenching over the weekend...... Pure and utter disgust, I LOVE MY JEEP!!!!!

Replacing a head is not preventative maintenance. Unless there's something wrong with it, there's just no point. If the whole motor is old and tired, replace or rebuild the whole motor.

X2 on rebuilding a motor, that's they way to go if you want to learn more about working on motors.

Just to give you an idea of my mindset; if I built the hell out of this thing and never wheeled it, I wouldn't be the slightest disappointed. I just love building things from the ground up, and watching the mechanical components work. I am a Geographical Information Systems Analyst by day, so everything I typically do is a virtual world.

Plus I love the weird looks from colleagues when I show up to a Monday morning senior staff meeting with that slight black hue of grease that I couldn't get off my cuticles from wrenching over the weekend...... Pure and utter disgust, I LOVE MY JEEP!!!!!

Hell yeah! I am a computer programmer and I feel the exact same way! X1,000,000! I get sick of staring into a light box and pecking at buttons all day moving bits around that don't really exist. Working on my Jeep is so real and visceral. Not to mention wheelin' it, there's gotta be SOME payoff for all the coin and busted knuckles.

That said, the reality is that computers ARE machines. I think a lot of people don't understand that. I do get a kick out of making them hum.

Replacing a head is not preventative maintenance. Unless there's something wrong with it,

Please re-read what you typed....now tell me how replacing a component before "there's something wrong with it," is not considered preventative maintenance?

I just had to bust your chops on that one :cheers:

If it were me, I would find a good used head, have it ported and port match the intake, and put a three angle valve job. If you don't mind spending money, put some roller rockers on there just for fun lol. Even though that money is not worth extra performance. Or you can upgrade the exhaust system to help the engine breath. But do your homework first!

Thanks IH, I will consider the port matching and/or three angle valve job once I get their in the engine rebuild.

I am not wealthy and don't spend money just to spend money, I work hard for it... with that said, if a mod has absolutely no benefit I will not do it (roller rockers). But I am going to eventually upgrade the exhaust from the existing DynoMax cat-back that is on there now to something better.

Converting this XJ to 4WD was the most beneficial and fun project I have done so far, I am sure that the engine rebuild will be just as exciting. I actually converted the 4WD donor vehicle to 2WD and ending up making a couple of hundred dollars, that made it all the more better in the end :)

Hell yeah! I am a computer programmer and I feel the exact same way! X1,000,000! I get sick of staring into a light box and pecking at buttons all day moving bits around that don't really exist. Working on my Jeep is so real and visceral. Not to mention wheelin' it, there's gotta be SOME payoff for all the coin and busted knuckles.

That said, the reality is that computers ARE machines. I think a lot of people don't understand that. I do get a kick out of making them hum.

Thanks everyone, I think I will go with a junkyard LB and completely rebuild it. I got the go ahead from the "BOSS" to buy a small car to drive back and forth to work, so I can finally start having fun with the XJ.

Just to give you an idea of my mindset; if I built the hell out of this thing and never wheeled it, I wouldn't be the slightest disappointed. I just love building things from the ground up, and watching the mechanical components work. I am a Geographical Information Systems Analyst by day, so everything I typically do is in a virtual world.

Make that 3 of us...

I wouldn't bother replacing the head as preventive maintenance, you've got the 0630 head not the 0331 head (2000/2001) so yours should be good to go for a long while yet. If you want to rebuild a longblock, sounds like a great/fun project to me.

I personally would consider finding a spare 0630 head and rebuilding, porting, and installing larger valves in it and installing that. You always run the risk of making the Jeep less reliable, but with some good head work (and a thinner gasket) you can make some extra power.

If you've got the time and motivation, rebuilding a long block would be the way to go. A good rebuild with increased compression, small cam, and some head work should yield good results without taking the jump up to a stroker.

I too have convered my 2wd XJ into 4wd, that was fun and I proved to my parents i wasn't wasting money with a project/DD. dang college sucks for projects lol

I also had to replace my head and that wasnt much fun but it might of been because i had to travel 700 miles in 2 days to get to work so i was kinda rushing to finish and test it out. I did not like working till 2am on my heap before i set out at 5am to drive 10 hrs, good to be young tho.

x2 on a cheap stroker! if you really want to learn, as do i, build up a cheap stroker to learn the finer points of engine rebuilding. if you buy a junk yard one you will have time to build it right and not rush through it. Swap it in and drive the crap out of it, if it fails you learn something new, salvage what you can and swap the old motor back in.

Back