• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is something wrong with my D30?

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Background: Ran it open on 35s with the original 260 joint disco shafts for a year, did a non-disco conversion and ran it open for another year with possibly 260 joints, ran it locked for a summer, and finally put in a set of Alloy USA shafts with 760s. It's been running the same Yukon 4.88 gearset the whole time.

I've run the Rubicon a half dozen times, Fordyce, Swamp Lake, Bald Mountain, Pumpkin Eater East at Stoddard Valley, Sledge and Claw Hammers, a few other trails, and I've played around at the Hollister and Prairie City parks.

My problem is, aside from bending a couple stock tie rods a little, and breaking a pinion yoke because it didn't fit with my custom suspension links, I haven't broken anything in my front axle. No shafts, no joints, no gears. Am I doing something wrong? I thought this axle was supposed to be weak?

Thanks. Phil

Phil said:
Am I doing something wrong? I thought this axle was supposed to be weak?

Thanks. Phil

Well, maybe Ranger can show you how to break it.

HELP!!! its NOT breaking. there must be something wrong with it!? just be happy that your lucky. shoot, if you dont want your good luck, im sure there are plenty of us out here that do.

now quit complaining.

lol

Phil said:
Background: Ran it open on 35s with the original 260 joint disco shafts for a year, did a non-disco conversion and ran it open for another year with possibly 260 joints, ran it locked for a summer, and finally put in a set of Alloy USA shafts with 760s. It's been running the same Yukon 4.88 gearset the whole time.

I've run the Rubicon a half dozen times, Fordyce, Swamp Lake, Bald Mountain, Pumpkin Eater East at Stoddard Valley, Sledge and Claw Hammers, a few other trails, and I've played around at the Hollister and Prairie City parks.

My problem is, aside from bending a couple stock tie rods a little, and breaking a pinion yoke because it didn't fit with my custom suspension links, I haven't broken anything in my front axle. No shafts, no joints, no gears. Am I doing something wrong? I thought this axle was supposed to be weak?

Thanks. Phil

i feel the same as you phil . i've had 2 broke short axles in 4 years and locked the whole time . nothing else has gone wrong with it . i'm on 36's

Phil... i like the 30. Hence why i kept it. If after my severe beatings this weekend the 30 still holds with 35" Creepys, F the 60 stuff.

I think it's because the rest of your Jeep flexes like a wet noodle, thereby easing the stress on your 30.

I like my d30 but running open and going through u-joints on each side in a short period of time kind of sucks. Time to get rid of the 260 joints or stay off the pedal:D.

Kim.

Im with Andy... the front axle doenst ever get bound up, because the body of the jeep moves to un-bind it...

Obviously you aren't exploiting the axle's weaknesses. I suggest running everything in reverse, so that HP gearset is at its weakest. Especially anything that involves an uphill situation with varied traction. You can also try removing the rear driveshaft to add to the stress on the front axle.

If all else fails, buy rims with 1" BS (if they aren't centred, even better) and put about 300LBs of lead BB's in both the tires. Then see how much air you can get.

But yeah, I'd only need a good peice of pavement to break it. Reverse 4lo brakestands, mmm.

my buddy had a detroit locker and 33's on the D35C rear on his XJ. he pulled out of a parking lot while on some ice and the tires spun really fast. well he got off the ice, but as soon as he hit solid, dry pavement one tire gripped and snapped the stock shafts. it's all a matter of how much gas you give it with how much resistance is stopping the tires. I wouldn't risk it forever unless you have a way to get out...

Try doing this with it. If it survives, you have a real winner.

3_18_2006_014.jpg

Maybe you don't wheel fast enough. Try to set a speed record for yourself on a certain trail, then I bet you'll snap something.

Or, just try and go over a ledge with a big lip at the top, that'll snap all kinds of junk.

maybe my 44 will start living now that it has learned the ways of Phil's D30... :worship:

:D

Back