• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lynwood pull apart

nickguy

NAXJA Forum User
89 Blue Laredo on the back row. It looks like it has a tow package and Dana 44 rear axle. Someone has pushed it of it's wheel supports so that the axle is pretty buried (on purpose maybe?) so do not hold me to it but I am fairly sure. Right now no one has started to tear into the axle.

I was there yesterday and looked at every xj there in the jeep section. none of them had a dana 44. was it in the wrong section? a buddy of mine was looking for one yesterday while we were there.......

Like I said it is a blue 89 Laredo on the far south West row. It has a tow bar and has been pushed off it's supports burying the rear axle in the mud. It is missing it's tailgate and has had it's oem tire carrier removed.

the axle tubes are too small to be a 44, i looked at it a few times.

axle tubes on a 44 are 2.75" close enough to a 35 that they use the same U bolt.

FWIW, I have read on NAXJA about some weird factory spec'd rigs (like cop/gov ones) up till '89 that came with a D44.

Either way, it's probably long gone by now.

~Scott

Well played!! Also didn't the 44 only come behind the 231?

the 87 i pulled my 44 from had a 242, it might not have been stock, it also had 6" blocks.

No.... but thanks for playing.

List of all factory rear axle part #'s:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles...xles_and_Brakes/Jeep_Axle_Info_and_Ratios.htm

'87-90 MJ's got D44 rear, but not XJ's.

Yes.....but hey, you can't always be a prick and right.

I don't care what your link says. I know, it's on the internet, it must be right. I've personally pulled two D44s out from under '89s in the junkyard. And the MJ got the rear 44 all the way until '92.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/xj_dana44_02/

I would probably still be scratching my head, except that someone posted a Dana 44 for sale out of an '88 Cherokee.

I guess he was mistaken, and I can't read VINs.

Last edited:
Well its on a web site so it must be true right!?! I have owned an 89 with a 44 and yes it came stock with it.Like I said the 44 came in 87-89 XJ'S from the factory

Back