• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

center pin canted forward from add a leaf install

stew2103

NAXJA Forum User
Help. 01 cherokee 4.0, part of a RE 2inch BB installed.

I installed an add a leaf on one side ... lined up the center pin holes on all the leafs and now the center pin is angled forward and which makes it so i cant tighten the center pin nut all the way. It seems like my rear axle needs to be moved towards the front about an inch to get it all lined up... which out of frustration i kicked and pressed and almost pooped myself to get the axle to move. Help? I searched didnt find it, and im sure its something stupid.. but i appreciate the flames to a minimum.....:hang: -stew

clamp the pack together with a 4" C clamp front and rear of the axle, remove the u bolts, drop the axle out of the way, take the bolt out, grab a 6" drift pin and slide it into the hole in the springs. Wiggle it around (you'll have to loosen up the clamps some) until all the holes line up then reinstall the centering bolt, tighten it down and reinstall the axle.

clamp the pack together with a 4" C clamp front and rear of the axle, remove the u bolts, drop the axle out of the way, take the bolt out, grab a 6" drift pin and slide it into the hole in the springs. Wiggle it around (you'll have to loosen up the clamps some) until all the holes line up then reinstall the centering bolt, tighten it down and reinstall the axle.

X2,the packs need to be "complete" before trying to mount them to the axle!
BTW:do not try to pull the pack together with the center pin(unless you have really good "Life/Health" insurance!

Yup, start over.

Drop that axle out of the way. Clamp ( Big AZZ C-Clamp! )the leaves and remove your bolt and loosen the clamp slowly so all the leaves fall out ( look at their positioning before doing so ). Drop the bolt though the top leaf and reassemble the leaf pack. Use clamps to hold each section in place as you assemble it. Use the big C-Clamp to compress the pack to assembled tightness and tighten your bolt. Bolt alignment can be fixed at this stage.

When you put the spring on the perch, make sure you use the Center hole, not an end one (some perches have more than one hole).

Ron

alright well i used an old drill bit... and centered all the wholes for the leaf pack... but now i cannot line the center perch whole with the center pin, pin is about 1/2inch forward of perch hole... does the shackle need to be adjusted or is there another way? -stew

Last edited:
Do you mean you can't get the spring pack back together? Keep a long bolt, your drill bit or a longer center pin in the hole of all the leaves until you can clamp the leaves together enough to tighten up the center pin.

If you mean getting the spring and axle back together, I had good luck lining up axles with the center pins of the springs by using a jack under the axle and another under the spring. If you move both around enough, you should be able to line up the center pin by yourself.

Otherwise call a friend.

If you mean getting the spring and axle back together, I had good luck lining up axles with the center pins of the springs by using a jack under the axle and another under the spring. If you move both around enough, you should be able to line up the center pin by yourself.

- I mean the leaf pack to the axle... for some reason im off 1/2 of the center pin head to the axle perche hole... do i just need to man up on pushing the axle forward or is there something else?

well i compared the shackle on the d side to the one on the p side... the driver side shackle on the drivers side is slightly moved forward probably the same amount im not lining up ... so i guess i need to hit the shackle with a mallet to re position it. Hopefully that will work or i guess ill just have to take it off and re do that.

Well figured it out.... just took some paying attention to how the leaf spring when raised minipulates the shackle and the raising the axle to match.... appreciate the advice... ill be sitting in the corner licking a window after this...stew:dunce:

Sounds like you still have the opposite side bolted up?

Back