• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting issue, no spark at coil

H8D-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So the other day i did a head gasket on my 1990 Renix XJ with the 4.0, i put it all back together and it cranks over has fuel pressure and compression but didnt fire. I check the rotor and its right on the cylinder it should be. Then i pulled and plug and cranked it and it has no spark from dist to plug. Then i checked if i had spark from coil to dist and nothing, no spark at all. Weird because the night before i did the headgasket it was perfect.

I pulled the ground to the head and cleaned it and tightened it back down, i dont see any plugs unplugged and it all looks good.

cded1836.jpg

I see the two rods that click into the base for the coil but what is the third flat piece, it looks as if something should clip onto it. And when i found it, it looked like this with nothing hooked to it.

14d0f0f4.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated! thanks

Gotta look at work performed. Be sure nothing got jostled during your head gasket replacement.

Not sure how renix coil systems work but I would suspect something should be connected to picture #2.

If all is okay, the coil can be tested for primary/secondary resistances with a manual and a meter. As can your crankshaft position sensor.

Those two are primary suspects for no spark.

Wow I think I have been out in the heat too long. I didn't have the cps plugged back in, plugged it in and she ran great.

Wow I think I have been out in the heat too long. I didn't have the cps plugged back in, plugged it in and she ran great.

Glad you go it.

FYI, no 12 volts to the primary side of the ICM/coil, check the B Latch/ASD relay. Power to the primary side but still no spark, check the CPS/CKP crank sensor.

EDIT: the spade connector is not used, just the first three wire connector and the middle two wire connector.

Back