• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

digital camo

xXxJay

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. Fairly new to painting. I have painted my bronco and dodge 1500 in my driveway, with fairly good results. The bronco i thinned down :moon:tremclad with mineral spirits. I was hoping for a 2 year finish cause was planning on bashing it hard. It held up awesome exept after 2 years a lil returning rust on fender. either way i am about to paint my 93 xj. It is forest green now. I am not filling shopping cart dents, so only body work is a bit of surface rust on the drip rail by windshield.
My questions are do i remove the original clear coat and ruff up paint under it?
Every were i see a nick of rust, sand down to bare metal, fill n prime?
What paint do you recomend?? a 3 part?? primer, base, and clear??
I am leaning toward grey to light grey for base with dark grey, black, and white 1/2"x1/2" square patterns for the digital camo.
any advice appreciated.

sounds like a plan on the 3 part, thats what I was thinking on my friends 84 f150. Most people just scuff up the clear (or whats left of the clear haha).

What are you gonna use to get the digital camo pattern, sounds like a hard job. cant wait to see the results!

My questions are do i remove the original clear coat and ruff up paint under it?

No need to remove the clear coat unless its flaking, just scuff it.

Every were i see a nick of rust, sand down to bare metal, fill n prime?

Yes

What paint do you recomend?? a 3 part?? primer, base, and clear??

Primer and single stage color, if you are using solid colors, it will be cheeper, and also easier to touch up

thanks alot, gets me closer to the booth.
I am going to paint it all one color the make stenils with tetris like small shapes and put on randomly. I have seen alot of people try, but none i like that much. Im going to start with putting pattern on the hood and see what i think.
i also was thinking sand camo colors??
thanks dave

Photo188.jpg

I used contact paper, a razor blade and two colors of rustoleum, and then mixed the two for a third color. applied with a pinky mini roller.

Back