• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0HO slight miss/hesitation under load...

kthrash

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I purchased this 97 Cherokee with the 4.0HO and 104K miles on it and have changed the plugs( Autolite Copper), wires(Autolite), dist cap, rotor, air filter, and oil, last night I cleaned the throttle body.. Jeep runs great at low RPM's, purrs like a new one. Problem is under load, as in I step on it through the gears, (its a 5 speed) it kinda hesitatates at certian points then kicks back in.. almost like a miss but not as dramatic as when a engine misfires. You can also rev it with no hesitation at all.

I have purchased some Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner and a fuel filter, but have a full tank of Gas at the moment so that will have to wait a week or less.

I have also searched the archives and cant really find any info.

Does anyone have any idea what I am missing here... there are no codes on it either.

o2 Sensor maybe?? Clogged Fuel Injector??

First question, the plugs are autolites, what about the other stuff, OEM or aftermarket. ??
When you cleaned the throttle body did you keep the carb cleaner away from the sensors or did you soak them also ??
You do know the fuel filter is 'inside' the gas tank.
My sons YJ had autolite plugs in it and some aftermarket cap, rotor and wires, I replaced them after two plugs carboned up, they were autolites. I also ordered cap, rotor, wires from the dealer as I have never had a problem with my 98 as long as I used OEM.

other stuff is all aftermarket, the wires are Autolite as well. I did keep the cleaner away from the sensors. it was doing this before I cleaned the throttle body, Yeah I just found out the filter is in the tank.. Dumb Ass parts people. Will have to take the filter back. Anyways any thoughts??

I always approach things cautiously and try to keep a baseline of some sort. I'm pro OEM on alot of engine stuff but my gut feel is that the throttle postion sensor might be dirty or going south on you, could be the mass air flow sensor too.
The best way to clean the TB is off the jeep on a work bench :D with the sensors OFF the TB. The Factory service manual has test procedures for checking the TPS.

Back