• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lurching, popping, bogging...

uRabbit

NAXJA Forum User
Okay. So, recently, I've been having this recurring problem. First of all, the bogging. During acceleration, it acts as though fuel isn't being delivered (no fuel issues). I've got another topic on here about this (I'm pretty sure it's here), and one guy suggets it's a dirt-clogged cat.

Next issue is, when I come to a stop, I sometimes experience a pop that feels as though it's coming from below me. This pop also was experienced while accelerating uphill after having been idling on the hill.

Last, but definitely not least, is the lurching. This usually happens after having experienced a pop.

Year ? Engine ? T-case ? Trans ?

Pop as in backfire, or pop as in slipping T-case chain ?

Pop as in I have no clue! Not an exhaust pop. Definitely a mechanical pop. With the window down, I can hear it pretty well.

1990 4.0 242 auto.

lurching and bogging could be fuel related. did you check fuel pressure and check for clogged fuel filter? have you tested the tps? dont know about a dirt filled cat, but it could be clogged.

pop could be bad transmount, control arm bushings, dry TRE's or ball joints. when was the last time you lubed the TRE's, trackbar TRE, and ball joints.

pop could also be bad U-joints in the rear driveshaft.

"Pop" .. huh. With these vehicles we will need ALOT more information then just "pop noise"

could be anything from internal transfercase, slight backfire, loose control arms, bad ball joints, track bar loose, Bad tranny mount, U joint, sony subwoofer, Bad cardon joint in the Driveshaft, something "popping" against something else under the right load. Who knows!

Well, crap. Thanks, guys. Looks like my lady will have to take it to a mechanic when I take off for basic training in August. No way I'm going to be able to self-diagnose all that. I'm a young guy with no tools. Ha.

Back