• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

about to buy first lift ever..

eh...you get what you pay for. Depends really what you are looking to do after the lift. I'd seriously consider the condition of your existing rear leags before adding shackles to it for lift. If they are worn, they'll go inverted and ride like garbage. Plus your lift will begin to sag.

You may or may not get vibes with 2". You didn't specify a year, but guessing by your name I'm assuming it's a 2000. I put an OME 2" lift on my 2000 (pricey but worth every penny) and get vibes from time to time. I would sugges spending some more time searching around the forum and asking questions before buying a small lift. It's a hell of a lot easier than installing a lift, then having to replace it in a couple months.

Emerscape, have you had a similar product and experienced those results? And, yes it is a 2000 Sport with the 4.0L and automatic.

I have a set of Helwig helper springs that bolt on top of the leaf springs that I plan to add after the shackle lift. I think this should also help out my leaf packs.

The reason I picked this kit is because I don't have any interest or means in investing a large chunk of cash into a suspension at the time. I just want to boost the Jeep up a bit and have plenty of room for 30*9.50's or something similar in size later. (Might get a set of new rims off a Rubicon from a friend)

I have a set of Helwig helper springs that bolt on top of the leaf springs that I plan to add after the shackle lift. I think this should also help out my leaf packs.

Throw those away and add a SYE kit into your budget!

that kit is a great deal. those shackles look pretty beefy. I would throw it on and see how long that works for you. When your leafs start to sag, maybe get some 3-4 inch leafs and some coils to match......you could even keep the poly spacers and shackles for the added boost.

Haha why throw them away? I maybe run a trail once every two months if that. I do how ever have my Jeep packed full of stuff and squatting real bad all the time. If vibes become a problem I'd consider an SYE but prolly try a T-case drop and/or shims first.

If vibes become a problem I'd consider an SYE but prolly try a T-case drop and/or shims first.

I wouldn't do that. Its just a band aid and not a permanent solution.

I was thinking the same as you Austin, the kit should be getting ordered tomorrow morning. (Wallet with credit card is in the Jeep and im too lazy to go get it..)

Do I really need to worry about lifting a slightly sagging set of leaves 2" and getting vibes? It will most likely only be 1.5" over stock height due to the sag.

I was thinking the same as you Austin, the kit should be getting ordered tomorrow morning. (Wallet with credit card is in the Jeep and im too lazy to go get it..)

Do I really need to worry about lifting a slightly sagging set of leaves 2" and getting vibes? It will most likely only be 1.5" over stock height due to the sag.

I'm assuming its a 2000 by your user name so more than likely with your LP front axle it might.

lol my 90' xj has 6 in lift in rear and no vibes from it with no sye. im on bastard pack with those identical shackles and an 8.8 for that last 1/2in. being that im still on stock leafs it pushes the axle forward a little and my slip yoke sits right in stock position

lol my 90' xj has 6 in lift in rear and no vibes from it with no sye. im on bastard pack with those identical shackles and an 8.8 for that last 1/2in. being that im still on stock leafs it pushes the axle forward a little and my slip yoke sits right in stock position

Thats a 90 not a 2000. Big difference when it comes to vibes!

vibes aren't consistent for 2000 models. Some people can do 3" with no vibes, others like me put a 2" lift on and get vibes (yes I replaced the u-joints and had my driveshaft balanced). Best approach is to consider it in your budget, buy the lift without a transfer case drop or SYE and then see what happens.

Good luck!

With the addition of a shackle, beefing up your leaf pack will go a long way towards avoiding the dreaded leaf inversion noticed with extended shackles.
A great way to beef up your pack, inexpensively, is to add another cherokee long leaf from a donor leaf pack to your existing pack. Cut the ends off, and insert directly under your main leaf. I did this, and with a 1.5" extended shackle, my leafs actually have a positive arch to them. It won't provide much lift, maybe an inch, but might allow you to use the 1.5" instead of the 2" position on your shackle. Since you are already sagging, the total lift would be around 2 inches.
(over stock). Plus, you can keep these mods when going higher.

P.S. ditch the Hellwig helper spring. You won't like the ride. The above mentioned add a leaf doesn't stiffen up the ride much at all, just a little firmer.

Back