• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax No slip repair?

I have a 8.25 powertrax no slip that is acting erratic. Lots of popping and occasionally idling up my driveway it would seem to slip a bit. Seemed to work fine under medium or heavy throttle.

Pulled it apart and found the cross shaft worn a bit, and found five teeth chipped/worn. One tooth on each of three drivers/couplers and two teeth on the other. I can't post pics, but the chips/wear are about 1/3 the size of the end of the tooth. Maybe 1/8" wide by 1/4" long.

I can get a new cross shaft, but I need to know if the locker is salvageable. Can I just file down the wear on the teeth so the drivers and couplers fit together better?

Thanks,

Mark

That locker is toast. I have had 2 lunchbox lockers wear out on me and there is no fixing them once the teeth are worn. I am using detroits now and they rock!

How long have you had it? Richmond gear has a 2 year warranty.
I got warranty on 2 Powertrax, 1 D30 and 1 C8.25, both had synchro problems.

Pull it apart and inspect it, so you will KNOW what is worn, or run it until it blows and buy something else.

I have a 8.25 powertrax no slip that is acting erratic. Lots of popping and occasionally idling up my driveway it would seem to slip a bit. Seemed to work fine under medium or heavy throttle.

Pulled it apart and found the cross shaft worn a bit, and found five teeth chipped/worn. One tooth on each of three drivers/couplers and two teeth on the other. I can't post pics, but the chips/wear are about 1/3 the size of the end of the tooth. Maybe 1/8" wide by 1/4" long.

I can get a new cross shaft, but I need to know if the locker is salvageable. Can I just file down the wear on the teeth so the drivers and couplers fit together better?

Thanks,

Mark

Pull it apart and inspect it, so you will KNOW what is worn, or run it until it blows and buy something else.

:looser: reading all of the posts helps just a little

:looser: reading all of the posts helps just a little

Not much, if any, for this situation. His problem could be very minor like a worn part or the setup was done at maximum specs and things have worn to the point it needs to be setup again. So right back to you. :looser: :looser:

No offense to jeeperjohn, but maybe the toaster hasn't been plugged in yet.

I have flipped it and put the driverside parts on the passanger side and visversa(sp).
This way your lockers "gears" will be working again.
If that makes sense.

Can't tell how long it will last but it's a short term fix.
Stukboy

Lunchbox lockers are not known for their durability under hard usage. I think I got maybe 3 or 4 years out of my olf Lock-Rights before going Detroit/ARB.

I have flipped it and put the driverside parts on the passanger side and visversa(sp).
This way your lockers "gears" will be working again.
If that makes sense.

Can't tell how long it will last but it's a short term fix.
Stukboy
I did that on mine and it improved things for a short while but still failed before long.

Since I was the original owner of this 8.25, I thought I'd chime in. (BTW, the OP is the third owner. I did not sell it directly to him.)

That No-Slip is about 6 years old. We installed it in 2004, right before my first Rubicon Trail trip. It has run the Rubicon Trail twice and Moab 3 times. Not to mention Big Bear, Johnson Valley, Calico, et al. It's been through a lot. When I sold the axle in 2007, it was working fine, but it was well-used. So it's probably time for a new locker.

I don't know how much you paid. But at least you still have an 8.25 with disc brakes, Superior 4.56 gears, Superior 29-spline alloy shafts, and BTF diff cover, if that's any consolation at all.

Back