• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1976 f250 D44/D60 for cheap can I make them work?!?!

bigbadxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching for days on this and I am still a little confused. I can get 1976 f250 D44/D60 for $100,but I do not know if I can use the Low pinion D44 with the cast leaf perch for the XJ or not? I have seen alot thread and info on them but no builds using them and no one with a different no do not try it answer? I know that the waggy D44 is a low pinion so my common sense say I can but I am just looking for some advise before I buy Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
Anything can work, some things just work easier.
I assume if you've searched for days, you've come across this.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html
Should provide you with measurements.
Some will tell you not to do the LP 44, but it is still an upgrade to the 30. $100 doesn't seem that bad to me, depending on their condition. If you have the ability to put them under the Jeep, I would probably go for it.

Anything can work, some things just work easier.
I assume if you've searched for days, you've come across this.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html
Should provide you with measurements.
Some will tell you not to do the LP 44, but it is still an upgrade to the 30. $100 doesn't seem that bad to me, depending on their condition. If you have the ability to put them under the Jeep, I would probably go for it.

Yea I was all over that link, I was just a little confused and just needed clarification. It does not matter now though cause the guy sold them from underneath me. I Mans word means nothing anymore.

a low pinion isnt as bad as everyone thinks and yes it will work in a xj.

a low pinion isnt as bad as everyone thinks and yes it will work in a xj.

That 250 axle isn't a total piece of crap.

ehh, the 44's and even some of the 60's in the f250's/350's from like 76/77 and earlier are pretty worthless. while the LP part isnt the worst(or best), its the rest of the axle thats junk. alot of them had things like closed knuckles, drum brakes, and course spline axle shafts. alot of different changes and parts were tried before the axles finally evolved into the desirable ones that everyone wants (77 and later). alot of the earlier stuff is just inferior and doesnt have the aftermarket of the later ones.

That '76 should have open knuckles and disc brakes, it was the first year for it. Also 250 gives it the 3" tubes, no cast wedges because it was leaf sprung. So, like I said, not a total POS. But not something I would put the time into swapping in.

That '76 should have open knuckles and disc brakes.

it SHOULD, but ford did alot of funny stuff in those trucks in the mid 70's. a regular 76 250 might/should be open knuckle, but the same year Highboy's got closed knuckle junk :dunno: there were MANY different variations of the 44 that went into the different 150's/250's for some reason, youd think theyd stick to the same/similar setups to create less new parts needed everytime they change.

are they closed knuckle?
The ones that the guy sold before I could get to them?? No they were open with discs just LP. Also I know that they will be alot of work Hell nothing I have done on this thing has been straight forward. I was just a little confused at the time:laugh2:. but I am good now. Thanks guys.

Back