• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soft ride coils

Highway XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've just about had it with the XJ. I still get beat on the washboard fwy's. I now have JKS uca'a and lca's, Bilstein 5100's, RE 4.5 springs (169 pound), BFG 31's at 33 pounds. all stock bumpers, I have about 5 inches of lift. Is there a coil that will ride better? Rusty 4.5's are rated at 150 pounds but not sure about them. I would like to avoid drop brackets, and LA's take you to a point of no return. Everything is good up front and have almost no wobble left.

Really? Avoid db's and long arms?

Coils have very little do do with harshness at that height.

The control arm angle is the problem.

as said, your coils and shocks arent the problem. your setup is actually very desirable in those areas actually. DPs or LAs are actually whats going to give you what you want.

i vote LAs and resell those JKS arms to recover the costs.

I had a similar problem with running the gas charged shocks. I went to a softer cellular gas type shock and the ride is like a caddy now. I'm since been running the Doetsch 9000 series shock for years as my back is bad and I need a soft ride. Here's a link to em:
http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/2.asp

The main problem is the angle of your arms, return the arm angle as close to stock as you can and you will get near stock ride quality.

As per the posts above ... control arm angle ....

The steeper it is ... the less actual "suspension action " there is.

Simple Example ..... Holding it at 30' - 45' angle ... push a pencil end, across a corrugated surface - such as a washboard ....

Feel the vibrations ???

Now hold it at 10' and do it again.

Much smoother eh ???

The first example is what the XJ, back the front, trailing arm suspension, with a big lift fitted, is doing over bumps.

The second is what a stock height or drop bracket XJ is doing.

All very, speed at the time, relevant of course ... but basically ... with steeper control arm angles, the arms initially ram back into the mounts/bushes before swinging up ....

:cheers:

RE's 4.5" coils are pretty darn soft already. i wish mine were stiffer actually for better go-fast performance. unless your shocks are valved terribly wrong which i bet is unlikely, then it is your poor angles. drop brackets can be bought used for cheap.

RE's 4.5" coils are pretty darn soft already. i wish mine were stiffer actually for better go-fast performance. unless your shocks are valved terribly wrong which i bet is unlikely, then it is your poor angles. drop brackets can be bought used for cheap.
QFT. but if you think it will help ill be happy to trade you my RE mono tubes for your steins! hahaha.

pull up to stocker and look at the control arm angles. thats what you want to replicate for the best on road characteristics. LA or SA. i run my tires at 40psi on the road... so if i am comfortable with my ride im sure you can be comfortable with yours as well.

As per the posts above ... control arm angle ....

The steeper it is ... the less actual "suspension action " there is.

Simple Example ..... Holding it at 30' - 45' angle ... push a pencil end, across a corrugated surface - such as a washboard ....

Feel the vibrations ???

Now hold it at 10' and do it again.

Much smoother eh ???

The first example is what the XJ, back the front, trailing arm suspension, with a big lift fitted, is doing over bumps.

The second is what a stock height or drop bracket XJ is doing.

All very, speed at the time, relevant of course ... but basically ... with steeper control arm angles, the arms initially ram back into the mounts/bushes before swinging up ....

:cheers:
A stock height XJ would be a horizontal pen, even better!

OP, what you really need is a vehicle with IFS, or leaf springs with shackle reversal

I run my 31s at 28 PSI and the ride is much improved.

I've just about had it with the XJ. I still get beat on the washboard fwy's. I now have JKS uca'a and lca's, Bilstein 5100's, RE 4.5 springs (169 pound), BFG 31's at 33 pounds. all stock bumpers, I have about 5 inches of lift. Is there a coil that will ride better? Rusty 4.5's are rated at 150 pounds but not sure about them. I would like to avoid drop brackets, and LA's take you to a point of no return. Everything is good up front and have almost no wobble left.
Yup, surrender your harsh ride to the drop brackets. I had this done last winter & the ride is so smooth it's scary. Same lift height as you. And I already had OME springs & shocks. Of course, lowering the tire pressure would help a tiny bit. Ultimately, listen to the voices ...

drooop brackets ... drop brackets ...

Thanks for the replies, I guess a good smooth ride on short arms at 5 inches is not going to happen. I have looked into both and I know what is involved to install them. The LA is probably the preferred but costs more and there is no return from them. The drop brackets allow me to keep all that I have but I think look a little funky. The LA's have a hyme or johnny type joint at the body end that does transmit some noise, I have herd. Both will totally stop wobble, right? The DB's might hang me up in the Hammers or Gate Keeper, LOL. Or, I can just accept as it is. Those BFG's are are rated at 50 psi and I was told designed to be run there so 28 at hwy speed does make me question. not saying it's bad.

You never go off of what a tire says on the sidewall for PSI. At the very least you go off of what the door jam says. That is for a stock sized tire no matter what the brand. Usually with a larger tire you would run less PSI. That is unless you are towing a 10k trailer with E rated tires, which I doubt.

That psi rating is for maximum load.

I run my 31's at 32 psi, and 35 when fully loaded on road trips.

Seriously, check out rough country's new long arm kit. Im getting it because I'm sick of the harsh ride also.

Yup, surrender your harsh ride to the drop brackets. I had this done last winter & the ride is so smooth it's scary. Same lift height as you. And I already had OME springs & shocks. Of course, lowering the tire pressure would help a tiny bit. Ultimately, listen to the voices ...

drooop brackets ... drop brackets ...

X2 on that. I've got them and have been running them for years before the long arm stuff was made by everyone and their brother. Economical and it works well. Been to the Rubicon, Fordyce, and all the NorCal rock spots with this setup several times this setup. No issues although I did use grade 8 hardware rather that the grade 5 that came with. Got the JKS UCA/LCA's too and they are awesome when getting flexed up. No tweaking up the the unibody and adjustability will help you with striking the best balance between dialing in the caster / front driveshaft angles.

Main thing with a good road ride is keeping all you angles as close as possible to the stock setup. I still love my Doeschtech shocks with the built in bumpstop and they are well prices. But hell you've already got shock you like so stick with it and get the drop kit. You'll be happier fer sure. Good luck with it.

33 psi is probably a bit too high for the 31" tires. IIRC isn't stock like 28? Larger tires = less psi. Try 24 psi and check the contact patch.

No, 33 is stock, but that's for a 225/75/15 or some crap....I run my 31's at 30psi and have a good ride, and a full contact patch on the road, tires wear perfect. However, all tires will react differently. But 33 is too much for any larger tire.

Those BFG's are are rated at 50 psi

I like when people come into my shop and say this....especially on newer vehicles. They swear up and down that they have a leaking tire, their tire pressure light always stays on. Bump the air pressure down to what the door jam says, BAM....no more light!

It's so hard when they ask me "was it a nail" to not reply..."no, just a bunch of rocks...IN YOUR HEAD!!!!!"

Thanks for the replies, I guess a good smooth ride on short arms at 5 inches is not going to happen. I have looked into both and I know what is involved to install them. The LA is probably the preferred but costs more and there is no return from them. The drop brackets allow me to keep all that I have but I think look a little funky. The LA's have a hyme or johnny type joint at the body end that does transmit some noise, I have herd. Both will totally stop wobble, right? The DB's might hang me up in the Hammers or Gate Keeper, LOL. Or, I can just accept as it is. Those BFG's are are rated at 50 psi and I was told designed to be run there so 28 at hwy speed does make me question. not saying it's bad.
You're just not listening are you? I have a "smooth ride on short arms at 5 inches" and I fought the DBs just like you did. Had the opportunity to get a new set real cheap at Q'tec meet & passed them up, being stupid.

Tell you what: I'll throw this idea at you. I always start with the least expensive solution and work my way up. Tire pressure first - it's free. Next, buy the drop brackets, try them (Rough Country's what I have, best deal). They are "reversible" and cost far less than long arms. Drive the XJ for a month. If you don't like the improvement in the ride, you can easily sell them and do whatever you decide is better.

Now ... I don't know that DBs will "totally stop wobble" but I guarantee your ride quality will be much, much improved. Like I said before, I had them installed last winter and I still can't believe the difference.

Back