• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear main seal or oil pan?

decathect

NAXJA Forum User
I've replaced both within the last 10k miles, but there is oil seeping from the rear of the oil pan/transmission junction.

How can I tell which one is leaking? I've never quite figured that out. I'm thinking i'll pull the pan and put some gasket sealant on the rear part of the oil pan gasket.

The leak is manifesting itself as dripping off the bottom of the bell housing. Pan is pretty much dry, other than up at the top where it mates to the engine.

Any advice is apprecaited! Really hoped I wouldnt have to deal with this again, but I can't stand oil leaks!

You dont say what year yours is.... did you use the newer styled one piece gasket or the older style multi piece pan gasket?

if you had the multi piece on next time get one for a 2000 and its a one piece and easier to install.
Also the VC gaskets are bad about leaking at the rear and hard to see from up top.
How much oil are you talking about leaking?

Agree with Rmart30.

The OFA, distributor, valve cover, and event the head gasket can be leaking and migrate to most anywhere.

I would clean things up with some Simple Green diluted with water, then drive a few minutes and check with a bright spotlight. Keep driving/checking until you can be sure of the source.

Good luck.

Sorry about that, more info:

My car is a 93.

It has the 1 piece, rubber oil pan gasket
It has a head gasket around 2000 miles old
it has a new cork valve cover gasket
it has new oil filter housing O-rings

Tell me more about the distributor gasket... Although it doesn't seem to be on that side of the engine at all.

The amount of oil is maybe 2-3 drips every time i park it overnight.

Valve cover gasket for sure, had to tighten more than a couple over the years.

Tell me more about the distributor gasket... Although it doesn't seem to be on that side of the engine at all.

The amount of oil is maybe 2-3 drips every time i park it overnight.

Distributor mounting gasket @ rockauto.com: FEL-PRO Part # 70051
MoreInfo.gif

1 11/32" OD
getimage.php

$1.38

Back