• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeel! Grooves where pads rest!?!

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
replaced my pads and rotors with quality stuff. cleaned up all front brake parts + properly lubed.

still getting the squeek again.

we did notice notches worn out of the knuckle where the pads rest on it.
is this a common thing? its probably causing the high pitched squeek uh?

The notches in the rail are pretty common, the reason why I put a lite coat of copper grease on the rails when doing a service. I sometimes dress the rails a little with a file, though i try to remove as little material as possible, just the crust.
The squeel can be helped some with a brake paste for the back of the pads (sound deadening, anti vibration). One product form Loc Tite I've found to be lacking a bit (stuff never seemed to help much) is the brake pad paste they offer. There is another silicon (RTV type) brake paste (I've gotten packaged with the new pads on occasion), with the consistancy of contact cement, that has good sound deading properties, but I forget the name. Copper foil and teflon sheets are sometimes used.
If you have riveted pads and the rivets have come loose, no amount of paste or whatever is going to help. Using a rivet punch to tighten them up is an iffy thing, the pads can be cracked if it is over done.
Not many manufacturers offer it anymore, but pads that are both bonded and riveted, offer the best service. The dependability of the rivets and the heat dissapation. With less chance of harmonics from a bonded pad.

Last edited:
the area was greased and cleaned up before the new pads and rotors were installed (napa ceramic pads).

the squeel disappeared after the brake job but slow can back, it gets louder when its warmer out.

someone mentioned that the notches in the knuckles where the pads lay it a common problem for cherokees so i thought i'd ask around.

I had the problem of the pads wearing grooves into my steering knuckles on my 97 Grand. I just filled the grooves with a bead of weld, then filed the weld down to where it was all smooth and on the same plain as the original metal. Worked like a charm for me.

my 97TJ has those grooves cut really badly, and own't let the brake pad slide properly.

when i did the rear disc brake conversion using stock rubicon parts, the dealer included these long c-chanel looking covers than sit over the edge of the caliper bracket right where the pads slight. so i'm trying to see if i can find a set of those to put over the front knuckles, and that would fix it beautifully. if i come up with something i'll post it up here.

otherwise the only other idea i had was like DSN46 said about welding and filing.

Mine did this too, was able to weld them up and grand them down real smooth. When I did the rear disc swap, those knucles were slightly grooved too, now the caliper is just starting to hang up back there too.

Back