• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed lift, now serious steering issue

sjroocos

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed 4.5" springs and drop brackets up front. Everything looked good until I started to connect the steering parts.

The knuckle that connects everything at the "Y" (don't know the correct name) hits the bracket for the lower sway bar connection.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the drop brackets. I had an XJ with this much lift before, but no such issue.

What do I need to fix this??

Thanks

Steve in Colorado Springs.

2000 XJ

Pics show where the two parts interfere.

jjjjjj.jpg
jjjjj.jpg
jj.jpg

Anyone know if this is a common issue with 4.5" springs and the drop brackets?

VERY common problem, with the 5.5" lift as well. Here's a recent thread in which a number of us shared our various experiences with with how we went about (or are still going about) solving this problem.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1030556

If you do a search, you will find many more threads about this topic as well. The above link is just a recent one that I happened to remember.

I have the sams issue currently. Not only do i not have a steering stabilizer but i dont run sway bars because of this. I have not fixed it either. I Just drive it without both. It sucks but oh well.

I have the sams issue currently. Not only do i not have a steering stabilizer but i dont run sway bars because of this. I have not fixed it either. I Just drive it without both. It sucks but oh well.

wow, thats a great fix.

why not get the correct(adjustable) length arms?

wow, thats a great fix.

why not get the correct(adjustable) length arms?

I have adjustable uppers and lowers. I set the lowers as short as i could thinking it would help but it didnt. I have yet to adjust them so i guess im just being lazy. Its not my Daily so this is why it doesnt bother me.

You actually need to make the lower arms longer to rotate the sway bar mounts up and back out of the way. I tried this using shims (I have the old fixed RE UCA's and LCA's) but found that my front pinion angle became a problem before the sway bar mounts were completely out of harm's way. Adjustable arms (or shims) will help the situation, but they are by no means guaranteed to solve it.

It's a combination of caster and lift height. When you rotate the axle, the sway bar link bracket comes down some. Also when you go up in height, the tie rod at that spot rises so they come in contact when turning. I had the same issue with drop brackets and with my long arm kit. The fix was to get a high pinion 30 so I didn't have to rotate the axle so much to get a good pinion angle and also I installed a drop pitman arm to lower the steering linkage, but this also requires a drop trackbar bracket.

Some companies make sway bar relocation brackets which involved cutting off the old ones and welding on new, taller brackets.

Lookin at your first pictures, your coils are curved forward so your caster might not be set right.

Ignore those who will say 'cut if off and go without sway bars'......

You actually need to make the lower arms longer to rotate the sway bar mounts up and back out of the way. I tried this using shims (I have the old fixed RE UCA's and LCA's) but found that my front pinion angle became a problem before the sway bar mounts were completely out of harm's way. Adjustable arms (or shims) will help the situation, but they are by no means guaranteed to solve it.

i thought about that but thought to myself, wouldnt that change my wheel base and push the tires out further? ill try this on saturday when i have time.
maybe i can lengthen the lowers and shorten the uppers a bit.

Just installed 4.5" springs and drop brackets up front. Everything looked good until I started to connect the steering parts.

The knuckle that connects everything at the "Y" (don't know the correct name) hits the bracket for the lower sway bar connection.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the drop brackets. I had an XJ with this much lift before, but no such issue.

What do I need to fix this??

Thanks

2000 XJ

Pics show where the two parts interfere.

jjjjjj.jpg

jjjjj.jpg

jj.jpg

I usually don't quote pics, but this was giving me a headache!

Seems like you really need proper bumpstops.
Sorry for the hijack ... :spin1: and not contributing to the solution. I didn't have that issue after my CAD was installed.

I adjusted the lower control arms out as far as they will go and now have about an eighth of an inch of clearance under the sway bar mount. It doesn't appear to change munch as it drops, so maybe that's enough.

I've got 5 degrees measured at the top of the ball joint. Is that enough?

Thanks for the help.

Just make sure you check your front pinion angle. Clearance at the sway bar link and proper caster angle aren't worth much if you have created front driveline vibrations due to an improper pinion angle. If you measure it and it turns out that it's close, run with it! I wasn't so lucky myself...

Got it all put together. So far looks ok. Ran it up to 55 with no vibration or any other issues noted. Centering the axle with the track bar seemed to give a little more steering clearance as well.

Thanks for the advice all.

Steve in Colorado Springs

Back