• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do, is it worth it?

BigDog

NAXJA Forum User
Ok don't want to keep hijacking threads so here it is. I seem to have a nasty knock in the lower end of my 4.0. Leading me to believe that the connecting rod bearings are taking a crap on me.
This motor has already been rebuild at 210,000 miles and now is pushing the 300,000 mile mark. I have put a good amount of work in to this rig so don't want to get rid of it and get another so have to look at what I should do for the motor.
Here are the choices:
Patch it by replacing the rod bearings, knowing in a few months they will go out again?

Rebuild the rebuilt motor, not to sure how many times a motor can be rebuilt and still be reliable?

Buy one of the couple used motors that have been presented to me? One for $350 with 160,000+ miles other $500 with 115,000 mile and come with tranny and tcase (Used always scares me)

Buy a new motor for like $1200? I know this is the better way to go but money wise not the most feasible

Or go get another car on payment for a DD and put this rig in the garage and do a full overhaul on it for a full time trail rig?

I'm looking to see what others think and would do. My biggest thing is we are a must have two car household and right now we only have one car. Really wishing I wouldn't have sold the ZJ to the mom but she needed a car and that one is doing good for her. Thanks ahead of time for your input all.

CJ

I'm of no help for you mechanically as I am noobish. Reading your options raised a flag though. As much as everyone would love a full-blown trail rig, you'd still fork out money towards a daily driver (as you mentioned) and STILL need to fix the Jeep. It seems that most of the people that go for major projects lose funding, time or ambition and then their XJ doesn't see the trail again for a LONG time. I personally would go for the low mileage engine/tranny/tcase, talk the guy down a little and then sell or keep the other parts for spares.

I'm of no help for you mechanically as I am noobish. Reading your options raised a flag though. As much as everyone would love a full-blown trail rig, you'd still fork out money towards a daily driver (as you mentioned) and STILL need to fix the Jeep. It seems that most of the people that go for major projects lose funding, time or ambition and then their XJ doesn't see the trail again for a LONG time. I personally would go for the low mileage engine/tranny/tcase, talk the guy down a little and then sell or keep the other parts for spares.
Ha. That's me:looney:

thats why i DD a ZJ:fuse:

Get a cheap block and do a rebuild as you can afford it. I have a NASTY knock!! It was bad for about 2 1/2 years, but now I let my girls Sis barrow it and she ran it out of oil! Just keep your foot out of it. It will last a while!
I'm still driving mine and it knocks hard...

For the most part I don't have that problem when I say I'm going to do something I do it. Right now I just think I need to get myself back to a two car household. We don't work good as a one car household at all.

For the most part I don't have that problem when I say I'm going to do something I do it. Right now I just think I need to get myself back to a two car household. We don't work good as a one car household at all.
CJ.. If your just going to replace the 4.0 with a new or used motor. You could spend $120 on AAA+ for a year and just use the XJ for A-B commutes.

If it just developed a slight knock, it should hold out untill your finances get back on track. It should last long enough for you to figure out exactly what you want to do. (with the option of rebuilding out the window)

Also, If it dies on a weekend or you need a tow on the weekend. Shoot me a message. we can load it up on my trailer and get you home.

Well we already have AAA I just don't want to get stuck out in the woods somewhere when I go fishing and not be able to get ahold of anyone to get a tow :smsoap: Then my fish would go bad on me :roflmao:

To repair your current motor the right way it will cost you more then a used motor.

This is what I would do, but I have the space and the tools also. I would go in 50/50 with Scott. Put that motor in the rig and run it for what it's worth. Mean while hang the old one on a stand and start sourcing the parts for a stroker or just rebuild it again. Then hope the used motor lasts long enough to finish the the one on the stand. With only 115k it should last a long time.

Dave

If you did want to do the payment thing you could always buy another xj.Sat maybe like a 95 so most your parts fit and switch them over. This way you have a driver/ wheeler and a bunch of parts to. But then your stuck with a payment also.

Dave

The payment thing don't bother me to much we are just now getting ready to pay off the wifes car so are use to doing payments. I do like the idea of stroker though.

I'm going to take a different tack and ask-are sure you have rod knock?
Any oil pressure changes?
Check your flex plate to torque converter and crank to flex plate bolts?
Any cracks?

Nick

I'm going to take a different tack and ask-are sure you have rod knock?
Any oil pressure changes?
Check your flex plate to torque converter and crank to flex plate bolts?
Any cracks?

Nick

Check the what at the where?
All I can say is it sounds like something is trying to come out of the oil pan, oil pressure is fine.

Well we ended up getting another car and the jeep is going to go in the garage on blocks and get a overhaul and I'm not just talking about the motor the whole truck is going to get redone.

Back