• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual Electric Fans

phxmark

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are a lot of threads on here about this subject, but they just add to the confusion. I wish to look into adding dual electric fans to my 2000 XJ.

I like the Derale fan setup, but would like to know what would actually be the best setup for the money. I want something that will last long and is reliable. Arizona summers tend to get quite warm.

Last time I was out off roading, the stock mechanical fan took out the fan shroud. I know clearance between the stock fan and shroud is tight. I measured about a 1/2 inch on my XJ. The engine moved just enough for the fan to strike the shroud when hard on the throttle.

If you did this type of upgrade to your jeep, pictures of the setup and what you had to do to make it work would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1. Replace your engine and transmission mounts, that is most likely what allowed the engine to move enough to take out the shroud.

2. x2, check GoJeep's write up.

3. Keep in mind that if you toast your alternator playing in mud/water, then you will kill your battery rather quickly with a dual electric fan setup, leaving you stranded or overheating.

yeah but if you toast the alt your not getting far regardless. like my xj died driving down an interstate.... the radio cuts out, then headlights the engine. yes it will kill it faster, but your screwed either way haha.

I was thinking about this as well, the flex light fans have less power draw I think, when ive talked to guys who run them, I hear they draw alot of power.

ima go read go jeeps write up!

I can drive a hell of a long way with the headlights and all the other accessories off running on just the battery, without overheating, with a manual fan and clutch.

Don't get me wrong, I have run just electric on a number of vehicles--there is nothing better when doing a lot of water crossings if you use a master switch--just be aware of maybe getting yourself royally screwed into a 10 mile hike to civilization, 10 miles you could have easily driven on just the battery.

Back