• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So who's got an idea??!!!

WashougalXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So... my '89 is still on the frits... the "rocker arms?" i think thats what they are called ... they aren't getting any oil... not sure what the problem is the pump is working and the back one are getting oil..ive taken the "rods" ( again not sure if thats what i took out idk a whole lot about engines) out and have been told they look fine and should be working but.. my motor is still squeeking and i think there might be more problems...so im asking everyone on here for help anyone who has any kind of clue....i need help...i love my XJ and want her fix so i can go to NW fest

Grab a mechanical oil pressure gauge and find out how much actual oil pressure you have.

What is the condition of the engine? Full of gunk?

Possible causes of poor oiling:

Worn bearings.
Loose rod/main bearing caps.
Worn oil pump.
Cheap oil filter.
Leaking OFA/sending unit.

35 psi WHEN? Cold? Hot? At idle? At 3000 rpm?

By the dash gauge? By a mechanical gauge?

As asked before, what does the inside of the valve cover/head/rockers look like--brand new with a light film of oil or like some kind of nasty black cooked on frosting?

Be a little forthcoming about it or you won't get much help.

joe_peters;244944195 Be a little forthcoming about it or you won't get much help.[/QUOTE said:
yup got ya i understand..okay so the inside is not new i looks like all original parts dirty and grimy / 35 psi cold and 40 hot/idle idk about 3000 rpms havnt checked

Ok, quite possible you have gunked up the oil passages.

I would recommend trying an aggressive engine cleaner, followed by the use of diesel motor oil--highly detergent, great for older engines. I use Shell Rotella 10w30 dino.

Try this, drain off about 1 quart from the crankcase, replace with 1 quart ATF. Start the engine--DO NOT DRIVE OR REV THE ENGINE--let it run for about 20-30 minutes, then drain, change filter, refill with oil and see if the oiling to the valve train has improved any.

Back