• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uh-oh, bunch of bad ideas...

DirtyMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after too much getting hit in the head, breathing noxious fumes, and sitting out in the snow in shorts and t-shirts; I have come to the conclusion that I want to build a 'frame' for my next project. Remember to keep breathing.

The idea is that I will take a MJ cab (got a line on more than one, FWIW) and cut it off of the unibody ugliness. Then it will go on my frame. Ah, but you ask, why build a frame?

Well, I want to run a Chevy 4.3 or 350, a SM420, and NP205 for starters. All of which don't suit the stock unibody too well. I also want to dove-nose the front to a width of about 34" to accomodate that I wish to move the front axle foreward about 6-8" from the stock location. The rear I also wish to cut down considerably; I'd probably move the rear axle foreward about 6" in comparison with the stock SWB. And make it taper after the cab.

Now, I know I could do all of these things with the unibody, but, why? I won't save any weight after I factor in plating it, and building massive tie-in brackets. I also like the concept of being able to whip up a nice rolling frame that has all of my supension (it'll be links this time, no more front/rear leafs) and drivetran tied to it - which actually makes the sheetmetal quite expendable.

I figure that to make the actual cab mountable to a frame will be relatively easy. I think that actually cutting it away from the rest of the donor truck will be the hard part. After that, I'm pretty sure I will be able to get away with little more than welding a strip of FB along each side of it, and drilling holes (About 6 on each side!) to run bolts through them to mount it. I'd use rubber isolators, just to be fancy.

I also think that I could make the frame rails far enough apart that they would nearly serve double purpose as a rocker gaurd. At least from upward blows. Then the whole inside between them could be covered by a skid plate (I have silly ideas on how to make one of these light) and the exhaust, LPG lines, and battery cables would all be perfectly out of harm's way. Along with the entire drivetran.

As far as a cage goes, I think that a combination of an endo/exo cage would be best. The area in front of the cab would be endo caged, with the tube used to hang the sheet-metal from. From there it would extend through the hood (which would be foreward tilting if I even run hinges on it) and up the A-pillars on the cab and follow the lines of the cab. Part of the problem is that while it would obviousy have to be functional, I would also like to make it is that the cab portion could be removed with minimal cutting of welds/tube so that in the event I decide the cab has become too carnaged I can get a 'new' one.

Oh, and why am I not just building a buggy? Not for me. I like my cab. Keeps me warm, dry, and it might still be identified as a MJ. Although, normally people think they're toyotas anyways...

So, anybody who bothered to read this, thoughts? I know it's not very clear when all you get is ramblings and zero pictures. I'm still not at that stage of planning yet. Yes, this project is going to take a while, and probably cost more than my last jeep.

Check out the Xota build in the AdFab section. He basically took a Toyota frame and cab, built a jeep suspension under it, and modified an XJ front clip and the cab so that it looks like an MJ but not quite.

It is gonna be an alot of extra work. Buy an S10 that is wrecked in the rear or something with a good running 4.3L and just build it. Will save you ALOT of headache. I wish it is what I had done instead of putting a 4.3L/GM drivetrain in the yota chassis I have. Have been working on it for a long time and still alot of work to do.

PICT3676.jpg

Ludakris said:
why not buy an S-10 and convert it to a straight axle ?

That's what I was thinking. You're reinventing the wheel with the MJ-cab truggy idea.

I may have a blazer frame on the cheap for you if you're interested, all I want out of it is the engine/trans/xfer case. hell come to think of it you can have everything but the trans/transfer case, it's a 2000 and I think I'd like to stick with what I know as far as the fuel injection and go with a TBI setup. It's a complete truck, rolled. I'm just hard up to find a 4x4 5 speed / transfer case that will mate to a 4.3

I DON'T want to start with a frame off some other vehicle. I think I would likely wind up investing just as much time and money into it as to build one from scatch, and still have a COMPROMISED design.

Yes, I could build an S-10. But then WTF am I doing on NAXJA?

Oh, and I enjoy fabrication/design. Especially when it involves doing something different (or possibly 'stupid', your call).

That's all just crazy talk. Combining the best of some other manufacturer's frame with the XJ/MJ indestructable drivetrain or building most the frame yourself.

Trying to come up with an all weather, street drivable, exo-caged, multi-functional capable 4 wheel rig? It can't be done!

top_of_whale.JPG

You sir are completely bonkers! It will never work and people will laugh and snicker at you the whole time your building this abomination!

You'll have Jeep owners and Chevy or Toyota or whatever frame you use, all hating you and flaming your crazy ideas on many websites.

And then if you do spend 4 or 5 hundred hours to get it built, you'll get nothing but confused unbeleiving looks from every person on the trail as you drive by their stuck rigs.

They'll all tell you it will never wheel worth a damn!!

You could end up driving by the very Rising Sun Toyota club that flamed your build hard, with the FJ team in attendence, stuck and broke down on the Rockpile at Chinamans. And they would all just look at your funny rig as it goes by and does the left line at Whale rock.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1177645136693452827

What would be the satisfaction in that?

1024.jpg

Give up this crazy idea, no good can come from it!

Last edited:
87xjco that must have been sweet revenge, what did they say aftert that?

That Xota looks hot already, I wood drive it as it is. That would turn heads on the street. To bad i cant build something like that. I have trouble sticking to a plan.

87xjco said:
That's all just crazy talk. Combining the best of some other manufacturer's frame with the XJ/MJ indestructable drivetrain or building most the frame yourself.

Awesome! Love the video too. Wish I had the money to build something like that in this decade. :star:

Back