• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving PCM, is this ok?

loki_racer

NAXJA Forum User
I relocated the battery to add onboard air. Now I need to relocate the PCM (I think that's what this is).

Is this vertical orientation ok for it, or does it need to stay in the same orientation as from the factory?

Orientation won't matter for the PCM only concern for that location is closer to the exhaust manifold and problems with heat. Not sure what you have on the other side but what about getting the windshield washer res from a HO model which is on the pass side and then mounting it where your old one is now?

Yeah it's a sealed solid state unit, long as you keep it cool enough it'll be fine

I kinda wondered about trying to stuff it up in the cowl area. You would have to extend a few leads, but I think it could fit over on the passenger side nicely.

Unfortunately it can't fit on the pass side as there's a big hole there for the a/c system. Best option if it can't go where it originally is then move it back to where his washer fluid tank is or on newer models where the balast resistor is.

Hmm, I had not actually gotten a tape measure out, but I figured it would fit in the cowl, where people relocate their filter to.

Eventually I want to Megasquirt my stroker anyway, I'll put that PCM in the cab and run my cable bundle through the firewall.

Orientation won't matter - no moving parts.

However, I do concur that you'll have heat trouble if you don't watch out. Get some aluminum sheet (something fairly heavy - .040" or better) and make a heat shield - just like you'd see for an underhood CAI kit.

If possible, have the heat sheld to protect the PCM, and then see about venting it somehow so it has decent air circulation as well. With solid-state electronics, heat is the enemy!

Back