• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anybody know for sure?

XJ4IVEY

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know if a chain from a 231 t-case is the same as a chain from a 242 case? Please don't post unless you know, theres a lot of folks out there pretending to be a wrench head and they chime in ALL THE TIME!
I really just need to knw if they are interchangeable Mine keeps stretching due to low fluid levels but I cannot keep the levels up due to a bad seal between the yoke and the output... it isnt the seal its the yoke that has worn down too much and I can't find a decent one at a JY and the dealer wants 137.00 for a new one!

The chains are not the same. Different part numbers, different length, etc.

Just a helpful hint: If you post up asking for tech advice with an attitude, you'll usually find you won't get any help, but you will get flamed. Most people who hang around the tech boards of this site know their stuff, regardless of how big of a smart ass they may seem.

There are plenty of aftermarket sources for yokes, chains, and seals available. I'll let you put your google-fu to work for those.

:patriot:

Last edited:
so... your replacing the chain to remedy the FUBARed yoke? i think fixing the known problem would save money in the long run. hell, at the price invest in SYE and replace the seals, kill two birds with one stone.

but what do i know right? i chime in all the the time when i dont know anything.

You don't need a new chain, your headlight fluid level is low, thus draining it from the transfer case.

Morris 4x4 has a good enough stock of 231 and 242 parts that you could probably build an entire TC from stuff ordered there. Get yourself a new yoke, new seal, and new chain, plus maybe new sprockets if the teeth are rounded from the chain jumping.

Or replace the chain and keep a closer eye on the fluid level - check it every week or two and it should not get that low.

Personally I would fix the origina problem of the yoke being bad. Or if you are that tight then I would say check the fluid more often and not let it get that low.

Personally I would fix the origina problem of the yoke being bad. Or if you are that tight then I would say check the fluid more often and not let it get that low.
well I intend on doing just that but I wanna get all my ducks in a row... might as well pull the case apart while there isnt much fluid and while I have the DS off... I have done it before and I don't wanna have to do it again, the chain was slopped out when I bought the jeep

so... your replacing the chain to remedy the FUBARed yoke? i think fixing the known problem would save money in the long run. hell, at the price invest in SYE and replace the seals, kill two birds with one stone.

but what do i know right? i chime in all the the time when i dont know anything.
I am trying to locate a 231 for a price Im willing to pay ... I found a SYE kit with main shaft for 204 on discountjeepparts.com but they only make it for a 231 not a 242 or I already would have done it.

Back