• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing steering box

5 bolts, three holding the box on, one for the pinch bolt, and the drag link end. Dont forget the pitman arm will need to be transferred over.

What size tires are you running? Do you want/need a larger box? A cooler while you are at it?

Easiest place to get one is a junkyard, if junkyard is not available then I would suggest looking on craigslist for someone parting out a jeep, it's not a difficult swap, then agian I had the motor out when I replaced mine, from what I remember it's two or three bolts holding it in, then disconnect two lines, one that's threaded into the top of the power steering pump and another on the side of the pump that has a clamp on it

Make sure you don't let the wheel spin when the box is removed (if you have a 95/96 with cruise or any 97 or later, it isn't as critical on 94 and down.)

Just realized (at least according to your screenname and profile, is this still correct?) you have a 93, so the steering wheel point is moot (AFAIK.) Sorry for the confusion :eyes:

If you're getting it from the junkyard, try to get the aluminum spacer that goes between the box and the frame. They often break, so it's a good idea to have a good one in case yours is bad. There are aftermarket upgrades available too (sorry, don't know links but I've seen references here). If you can get the bolts from the donor, grab them too so you're ready in case you shear one off.

When you put it back, make sure you get the steering shaft and input shaft of the box mated before you bolt it up, since you can't replace the shaft with the box in place. They could have designed this so that when you loosen the top clamp it would slide up the column a quarter inch more, but they didn't, so it won't. If you have someone else to help here it can be useful, just because you'll be upside-down on the ground holding the box, and it's a bit heavy.

Back