• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel offset

blubullett

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to buy some 16x8, 5on4.5 lug, 4.5" backspace, 0 degree offset wheels. Is 0 degree offset gonna fit? Does it even matter? All the steelies I see are slightly positive offset. Please help, they go off sale tomorrow and the shop isn't open so I have to buy them online and can't ask any questions. Thanks for the help :cheers:

Last edited:
4.5" BS isnt bad,it would depend on what tire size your going to run.Dont worry about offset.

I am probably going to run around a 32x11.5. I didn't know if the offset was needed to clear brake calipers or something. The wheels are going to be fixtures in my living room next to my OME 934's and JC1A's untill I aquire some more parts. Do 32's fit with only 3" of lift or am I going to need some shackles and spacers? Right now it is stock with 30x9.5's.

A year ago I was broke with two addictions; Mustangs and guns. Now I got this damn Jeep and my bank account won't stop crying.

I am probably going to run around a 32x11.5. I didn't know if the offset was needed to clear brake calipers or something. The wheels are going to be fixtures in my living room next to my OME 934's and JC1A's untill I aquire some more parts. Do 32's fit with only 3" of lift or am I going to need some shackles and spacers? Right now it is stock with 30x9.5's.

A year ago I was broke with two addictions; Mustangs and guns. Now I got this damn Jeep and my bank account won't stop crying.

The brakes will have the same clearance regardless of offset. The more offset you have (as the numbers get bigger), the closer to the body of the jeep the tire will be sitting. SO the main concern is whether your tires will end up too close to the body, thus rubbing on the inner wheel well or other parts when turning sharp. 4.5" will be pretty close to stock backspace. Offset is just another way to measure backspace. A lot of people will get slightly lower offsets to widen the stance of the Jeep. 32's should be OK on 3", just make sure you are well bumpstopped.

your gonna have to modify the front and back of the fenders to run an 11.5 with 3" backspacing. my buddy 95 is on 3" with 32x11.5 and 3" BS and they only rubbed on the front and back of the front fenders...so we tastefully sliced some extra plastic off and they dont rub at all.

Last edited:
BTW someone is giving you bad specs. 8" wide wheel with 4.5" backspacing means the mounting surface is 4.5" from the inside edge, and 3.5" from the outside edge. That means 0.5" offset.

Makes perfict sense it is in MM and not degrees. I don't know what I was thinking. Moab's are 16x8 aren't they? And I have seen them on tons of xj's so hopefully they won't be too wide. Im am going to run 265/75's on them most likely. If you google image search "265/75r16 cherokee forum" the one in the middle on the top is the look Im going for but with duratrac's. Thanks for all the help guys. Wheels have been purchased.

I'm running 32x11.5 on Soft 8s with 4.75" backspacing, which is 1/2" less than stock but it's also a wider wheel so the tyre is pulled out further (hope that makes sense)

Anyway, I really like it and will go to 35x12.5 on these same wheels. Even with 11.5 they hang out a bit

DSC_0024NONUM.jpg

Cheers
Steve

BTW someone is giving you bad specs. 8" wide wheel with 4.5" backspacing means the mounting surface is 4.5" from the inside edge, and 3.5" from the outside edge. That means 0.5" offset.

Actually, it is pretty much right on. The offset is done from outer-most point to outer-most point then divided by 2 to get the center while the listed width of the wheel is measured from the beads. The outermost lip measurement usually adds an inch to the total width. So a 16x8 will be about 9 inches wide to the outer lips (where the weights get hammered on), making the centerline at 4.5" backspacing.
I never cared about this until a couple months ago when I was wheel shopping. After doing some measuring to verify it, it turns out that is how it works :spin1:

Back