• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody with a garage have some time to help me out a little bit today?

Believe & Receive

NAXJA Forum User
I am pretty new to working on my own vehicles and some of it kinda scares me to try. I have gas tank and transfer case armor i want to put on and (just stock ones) and could use someone to take a look at my front end and tell me if things are ok and maybe shoot me some advice on which way to go. I do not have a sway bar on it at the moment so when i hop on the freeway i get the death wobble so if anybody is in SE Portland or Gresham that would be money. Who knows, just asking if anybody is bored out there and would not mind shooting a guy some help and time. Thanks Jimmy

Busy today. Might have some time tomorrow.

What are the specs of your jeep? Lifted at all? Im pretty sure your not getting death wobble due to a Missing sway bar.

98 with 3 1/2 inch Rubicon express lift. 31 inch tires (60%) other than that, stock. Death wobble happened with my 32 inch 20% tires though but was going around a curve on 84, no sway bar. I should be free after Church at around noon. If you could find the time that would be great and very appreciated.

For the death wobble...
-Check your track bar for play (especially at the frame side)
-Check your steering joints for play
-Make sure your tires are balanced

From my experience with vibrations and death wobble, it's usually one of those three things. ;)

To check for play have someone turn the steering wheel, while you feel each joint for looseness. Another alternative is taking a pry bar and seeing if there's excess movement in the joints.

What Dustin said! Also lift the front end off the ground and grab the bottom and top of the tire and give it a tug and check for play(ball joints). Also axle caster can be included in the list.

B&R.. Looks like i have a choppy day tomorrow. Are you available later on in the day? after 4.

I got the death woble as well and found the problem to be where the steering box mounts to the frame was broke causing the jeep to travel all over and have a ton of play. I also have found that it is a weak spot for cherokees with big tires and lots of wheeling. there is a brace you can get for this cost about 50 bucks witch beats the 600 it would cost to have the frame welded up. and make the the steering box is tight I think that is what really caused my issue.

lol Nice meeting you. Cant wait to get your rig trail worthy (very close) and going wheelin with ya!

Dennis, You get my message about the Jack stands?

Back