• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roller cam?

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
I've had 2 XJs, a '91 and a '92, both with the 4.0 and run Rotella T6 5w40 in both. A couple weeks ago I picked up a '99 WJ that I need to last so once again I've been doing a lot of reading about oil and zddp (don't run, I'm trying not to go down that road in this thread...). I was doing a Google search for that STP additive and came across THIS THREAD where someone says they changed the cam around '96 to a roller cam and that the zddp isn't as important on later models. Any truth to this?

The 4.0L never updated to roller cam.

The 4.0L never updated to roller cam.

To the best of my knowledge there was no OEM roller cam in the 4.0s.

Plenty of aftermarket ones available.

I've had 2 XJs, a '91 and a '92, both with the 4.0 and run Rotella T6 5w40 in both. A couple weeks ago I picked up a '99 WJ that I need to last so once again I've been doing a lot of reading about oil and zddp (don't run, I'm trying not to go down that road in this thread...). I was doing a Google search for that STP additive and came across THIS THREAD where someone says they changed the cam around '96 to a roller cam and that the zddp isn't as important on later models. Any truth to this?

Why in the world are you using such heavy oil ???

:)
Fred

When considering if an oil is heavy or not, you need to look at the 5W. When cold, it acts like a 5W (very light), but when hot, it acts like a 50W.

Correct, ZDDP is not as important with a roller cam followers.

When considering if an oil is heavy or not, you need to look at the 5W. When cold, it acts like a 5W (very light), but when hot, it acts like a 50W.

Correct, ZDDP is not as important with a roller cam followers.

Trust me, I know probably more than most here, about oil.
It's the 50 that I was talking about.
Unless the engine is VERY worn, 40 is too thick (at temperature).

:)
Fred

With most of the 4.0L's (mostly earlier HO and renix) that I have dealt with 40 seems to be the sweet spot. If they are in good shape and no leakage issues then 30 weight should be fine.

Man + beast = beastiality.

Man + Jeep = Jeepiality?

Anybody have access to the part number from the Mopar stroker for the roller cam parts? It might be nice to retrofit my stroker.

It would be interesting to see the grind on the cam Mopar came up with.

The MJ gets 10w40 Valvoline MaxLife because it has minor oil pressure issues and leaks like a sieve (though that has gone away after the last few months, I think I've finally gotten the seals reconditioned and half-fixed the CCV system a while ago using a zip-tie.) The XJ gets 5w30 or 10w30 depending on what's on sale.

The Mopar roller cam setup isn't being sold separately from their strokers yet. But if it does expect it to be prices more that 505's setup.. hopefully it will at least be a billet cam.

So you are saying that if I bought a stroker and it died, I couldn't buy replacement parts?

Back