• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surco Roof Rack

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I think next up for my XJ is a roof rack... and mounting the spare to the roof cause I hate having it in the back. Eventually, I will probably upgrade rear bumper and put a tire carrier there, but for now, roof is good.

Reason for the new thread is I want to see/hear your opinions on the Surco racks. Its most interesting to me cause the price is reasonable, and its aluminum, so its light weight. Also, with optional mounts, it can mount to the gutters. Seems like a winner to me.

Biggest question I have is how strong is it? The little bit of feedback I found on here is that its "flimsy". If I lift before the rear tire carrier, there are chances that a 33" can be up there for a bit. Other than that, I don't know what else I may have up there that would be much heavier than that. Again, I'm certainly going to go with gutter mounts.

Just looking to get a feel for this one before laying down the cash. Thanks in advance for your input!

The ones have seen seem to be ok for holding a tire but I don't have any personal experience with them. I know when I was looking into a rack I didn't really like the looks of the cheaper stuff and I built my own for around $50. I can post pics if you want to see it or anything. I know not everyone has the tools to build one but it is a thought. Mine took one good day of work to finish and it holds a tire, hi-ilift, an axe and shovel as well as 6 lights all the time.

Despite it's flimsy appearance, the SURCO rack is rather stout. Grant it, you can't land aircraft on it, but it does pretty good for what it is. I've hauled as many as 16 - 2x6x10 foot long boards on it without any problems or flex. And that's with the SURCO rack mounts attached to the stock roof rails, and not the gutter mount types. I prefer the roof rail mounts because I've seen way too may gutter mount rails chip away at the paint, and create bad rust issues on the gutters. I live on the coast, so body rust is a big concern to me.

The fact that SURCO rack is aluminum is also bonus for my rust situation, as well as being light weight. The paint on it will chip over time, but nothing a Shapie can't fix in flash...

I liked mine, 32" was up there just fine. Mine was mounted on the stock roof rack. I put mine together with thread lock and it never squeaked or rattled. I would definitely buy again except I decided to make a gobi copy that is lower profile.
BS01

Thanks for the replies. I apologize for just getting back to this thread now... I was on a Caribbean cruise the past week! But im back now...

Im probably going to order mine today, hopefully I will get it before the weekend so I can get it all installed soon. Thanks again!

mine survived this
shinysideup.jpg

after flipping the jeep back over it was only slightly tweaked at one corner, not enough to notice unless you were looking for it. Sold to a friend, who later sold it with his hard top. The rack is on its 3rd jeep now...

I have a Surco Rack on my Jeep with the tire carrier. I have never used the tire carrier, especially since i've got a JCR tire carrier bumper now! :D I wouldn't call them flimsy. Mine has rubbed a few trees and has held up just fine. Definitely go for the gutter mount one! Without a tire on it it probably weighs 30 lbs.

What size would you guys recommend? Im looking at the 40" x 60" one, but im wondering how much room it would leave for my light bar? I do not have my jeep with me for the week, otherwise I would just go measure the roof and figure it out haha. Thanks again!

What size would you guys recommend? Im looking at the 40" x 60" one, but im wondering how much room it would leave for my light bar? I do not have my jeep with me for the week, otherwise I would just go measure the roof and figure it out haha. Thanks again!

I have the 45x60" with lights front and rear and it fits great. I'll get some pictures for you later so you can see what it looks like, but that's a good size to go with. If anything, I may have wanted it a little longer(Maybe the 50x72"), but I love it. I had my spare up there for a while, but have since moved it, so if you're looking for a deal on a lightly used spare tire bracket, I've got you covered. :wave: I'll try to have some pics of the rack/lighting setup for you soon.

I have the 45x60" with lights front and rear and it fits great. I'll get some pictures for you later so you can see what it looks like, but that's a good size to go with. If anything, I may have wanted it a little longer(Maybe the 50x72"), but I love it. I had my spare up there for a while, but have since moved it, so if you're looking for a deal on a lightly used spare tire bracket, I've got you covered. :wave: I'll try to have some pics of the rack/lighting setup for you soon.

Thanks! That would be great if you could post some pics!

The Surco roof rack I had worked great, but the only problem I had is the Cherokee wouldn't fit in the garage with the tire mounted on the rack.

Just thought I'd bring this one back, being that I finally bought the thing!

41107_10100421771238944_9356644_73469875_7052850_n.jpg

I wanted to wait untill I got the rack mounted before I installed the light bar. The light bar is significantly re conditioned from my previous rig. Now running 100w lights!

Overall, I love the rack. Little expensive, but I think its worth it. Its very stong, light weight, and wont rust. Very cool.

I went with the gutter mounts. They are very strong, and the install was very easy. Have a spare tire mount on the way so I wont have the straps up there for very long.

:laugh3: Just bought a 2000 cherokee yesterday.

Love ur roof rack, any chance you can post more pic?

Appreciate if you can pm me on cost and site.

Thx.

Back