• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header Question

Harlee&Tahoe

NAXJA Forum User
I bought some pacesetter header headers but upon inspection of the flange which is 3/8in. thick I see there is a 1/8in. lip for the primary to rest on during welding, but what worries me is the 1/4 in. gap between primary and lip which leaves nothing but a weld.
Should I worry about this?
Thier Res.& Dev. Dept. says nothing to worry about but I would like an un-biased opinion of my peers and fellow XJ'ers

This is what I expect to see
header3.jpg

This is what three of my primaries look like
header2.jpg

here's another one
header.jpg

Please help me I just want to install this once and purchase only one for now Warranty is 3yr. but 1st.yr. is the only full the others are pro-rated
:cheers:
Cheers,
Harlee

I was almost thinking about taking the header in to have the inside welded
Would that be a bad idea?

Mine looked just like that 7 years ago, when I first installed it. Still humming along nicely.

It's what you get for buying a cheap header.

Take a look at the rough cast finish of the exhaust ports in the cylinder head and you will see that it's not going to make much of a difference when it's all bolted up with a gasket in place.

To clean up the flow in this area you will need to match the exhaust port shape, with the gasket and then match the primaries with the gasket. It's a lot of grinding work and I'm not convinced it would be worth the effort. I did this once on a 1.3L 4 cylinder 20 years ago and I don't think it made any noticeable difference on the dyno.

Back