• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 axles swap?

stroked88

NAXJA Forum User
does any body have any idea if the drum brake 8.8 axles will swap with the disc axles? ever tried it?

Wouldn't want to, the drum brake 8.8s are 28 spline as I recall. Disk brake ones are 31 spline.

Might have other downsides/weaknesses as well. Just pick up a disk brake one and be happy :peace:

nope kastein i must call ya on this but the only diff between a disc and drum 8.8 is the brakes themselves. ALL explorer 8.8s are 31 spline the only 28 spline are 8.8s out of a ranger which are also the ones with smaller tubes therefor weaker

Wouldn't want to, the drum brake 8.8s are 28 spline as I recall. Disk brake ones are 31 spline.

Might have other downsides/weaknesses as well. Just pick up a disk brake one and be happy :peace:

i have one of both and am putting the disc brake under the xj. just wondering for the extra shafts :peace: and i have heard both sides of that story im just going to pull the shafts and look.

nope kastein i must call ya on this but the only diff between a disc and drum 8.8 is the brakes themselves. ALL explorer 8.8s are 31 spline the only 28 spline are 8.8s out of a ranger which are also the ones with smaller tubes therefor weaker
Thanks for the correction :thumbup: I think we've actually discussed this before - upon researching, I'm not the only one with this misconception (or I'm right, no idea which.) Hopefully I'll remember it this time around.

I'll have to see if I can find an Exploder parts catalog and track this down once and for all.

EDIT: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html According to this page, ALL exploder 8.8s are 31 spline. Rangers and cars (mustangs, crown vics) are the ones that get confusing.

Last edited:
ill garantee you if its from an expo its 31 spline i have a carrier from a drum 8.8 in my disc 8.8. its just a myth ull hear alot that some expos are 28 spline but they are all 31 i searched my ass off befor i did my swap and multiple sitghs said its a myth also

EDIT: my other knowledge on this is that i did the ranger prerunner thing for a while and i know alot about rangers/expos now. therangerstation as kastein posted was a frequent visited sight when i had my danger ranger

EDIT#2: just to be totally safe did a quick check and yes expos only come in 31 spline. so id bet money its 31 spline without a doubt

Last edited:
Back