• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 XJ P/S return hose has angled metal pipe inserted next to reservoir fitting ?

MikeESoc2

NAXJA Forum User
Today I'm replacing the power-steering components on my '87 XJ (OE pump with 318K miles finally went). Instead of buying the return-hose assembly I just bought some J189 return hose.
Surpise:
when I took the OE return hose off the OE pump I find there's an angled metal pipe sleeve insert in the OE return hose right next to where the return hose clamps onto the fluid reservoir
- it looks like the purpose of the insert sleeve is to make sure fluid flows thru the return hose bend right before the reservoir tank (instead of the hose collapsing due to the bend).
OK:
so I cut the angled pipe sleeve out of the OE return hose and I tried to completely insert the sleeve into the end of the new J189 return hose
but it's definite not easy.
Question:
do I need to put this angled OE metal sleeve pipe back into the new J189 return hose or can I install the new return hose with a bit wider turn onto the tank fitting (without the metal insert pipe in the hose) ?
Hopefully someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

Back