• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thornbirds ?

1337Fungi

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone actually ever run them? I have a chance to get a set of 33x11.50x15s brand new, fresh of the line, for $100 a tire. I can't really see a reason to pass them up for that price. I do the mid level trails and am not really worried about big rocks, also being from PA I sometimes have to drive through feet of snow on the roads and my ProComp MTs are a deathtrap, any info good or bad would be great.

They're well known as a crappy tire.

If you look at the treads, they have long blocks, with small gaps between them. So while the edges make them look aggressive, they aren't. Plus they're ugly

If you have a tire groover, go for it if you feel motivated. I've heard good results after they have some siping and grooving, but I've never personally ran them or seen them in action after the fact.

I have a chance to get a set of 33x11.50x15s brand new, fresh of the line, for $100 a tire. I can't really see a reason to pass them up for that price.
I can, the reason is they are Thornbirds (aka Thornturds). Even at $100 a tire, that is $100 more than someone should spend on them. I would pass and find a good, reputable tire and run those.
You might pay a little more at first, but it saves you the hassle of dealing with their suckiness, having to find new tires anyways, and paying more money to replace them down the road.

buy'em, run'em to decide what you think and if they really do suck, sell'em.
not everyone "uses" their MT type tires... and not everyone knows/feels they are crap offroad.
I would guess you can get more than $100/tire if you sell them even after a month of driving.

are crap.

Yes, they are well known as crap. My brother lost a whole set from dry rot after only one summer. I would have to agree with moparmaniac and beakie. Groove the hell out of em and run them then see what you personally think. If not sale em. Now if you want something that you know is going to be good and reliable for a cheap price, go to costco and get the km2s for just over 200 a piece.

they are the bestest tire eveah!!!!!! run them and tell us what you think!!!!

no really, they suck donkey balls....

I had a set of them in 35's given to me and I ran them on a dodge truck for awhile, I personally did not care for them. They did not perform offroad at all, I've had street tires that I would've rather taken down a sloppy trail. I sold them and purchased a slightly used set of boggers.

go with some 33X12.5 TSL radials. I run them on my dads Tj and I love em. There only like $180 from summit. Sound great on the street IMO. DO effing awesome in the snow. I picked them to replace some 32" A/T's and my dad could believe the difference last winter.

Only tire I've ever been stuck on flat ground with. Don't pull until you're deep into the mud. Sling mud all over the sides and underside of your jeep. Scary on road manners. Bias ply, no wet traction, wear fast....do I need to keep going? There are better tires out there for the money, yes even that little money.

If you're looking for good cheap tires look at the LTB's, maxxis buckshot's, maxxis bighorns. Those are three well known and well performing tires used widely around here. And being in penns. you'll be going through more trails than rocks which means mud, water, trees, rocks in the same path.

I saw somebody blow two of them in the same day, and their performance was pretty lackluster anyways.

Back