• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you splice an OBD coolant sensor plug

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
into a RENIX harness?

The OBD sensor has a 3 prong plug and the RENIX only two.

I am having a hell of a time getting the coolant plug out of my block and it dawned on me how much simpler it would be if I could just splice in the newer connector and run it that way. The newer block I installed has the sensor in the spot where the first freeze plug would be on my RENIX.

This is the sensor in the block not the back of the head.

Thanks!

Huh? Pictures.

If you have something in a freeze plug hole, besides a freeze plug, it is most likely a block heater.

This is one of those (always) classic examples of where posting the year/engine/etc./etc./blah/blah/ad nauseum info would help.

Renix has three coolant related "sensors". One in the head--it is the temperature sender for the gauge/idiot light. One in the radiator--it is the coolant switch for the auxiliary fan. One in the block--the CTS or coolant temperature sensor that sends data to the ECU for engine management.

So, you have an HO block that doesn't have a place in the block--except you have something in a freeze plug hole?

Last edited:
yeah the first freeze plug spot is where you would idealy place the block heater IIRC.

Also I think the OBD sensors run in a different range than the RENIX but would have to look it up to give you a definitive answer.

Back