• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is Missing from my Radiator?

Grreatdog

NAXJA Forum User
OK I did a search and came up blank. I am finishing my ghetto repower and I am down to installing the radiator. But something is either missing or broken at the drain plug. This is on a 97. The plastic drain plug looks OK but there is no way to close it. I went through my parts twice and know I didn't overlook anything.

Plus I remember it was squirting fluid out the drain when it blew the head gasket and overheated on the highway. So all I have is a plasitc drain that is straight through with no open or close. Obviously I either lost or broke something (other than the whole engine that is) out on the highway or I am just being an idiot and not seeing something obvious.

So what gives?

X2 - I'd plug it. Drain via lower hose and/or block drain plug. The petcock is a true POS, especially the plastic ones, crappy design, inferior part (IMHO)

X2 - I'd plug it. Drain via lower hose and/or block drain plug. The petcock is a true POS, especially the plastic ones, crappy design, inferior part (IMHO)

x13 Trillion, use the lower hose, those plastic petcocks are just waiting to break.

I found the missing parts inside the radiator when I flushed it. An o-ring and the plastic base came out. And I have to say that it is about as idiotic a design as I have ever seen. It now has a brass plug from Home Depot.

hm I always use my petcock. I use a long screwdriver to reach it and I have permanently installed a funnel to catch the coolant and aim it at the bucket. You can just see the tip sticking down below my bumper:

4646846057_169f70a227_o.jpg

It's a lot neater than using the lower hose. I don't really want to kill the neighbor's dog with my used Ecto-Cooler.

images

The stock petc*ck dribbles like an old man when it drains. And sometimes won't reseal, also like an old man. (Please don't ask me how I know. LOL) And sometimes breaks off. (No, mine hasn't broken off yet.)

The stock petc*ck dribbles like an old man when it drains. And sometimes won't reseal, also like an old man. (Please don't ask me how I know. LOL) And sometimes breaks off. (No, mine hasn't broken off yet.)

It doesn't dribble if you remove the radiator cap while it's draining so air can replace the liquid. At least not in my experience.

...that reminds me.

Note to self: Make doctor appointment!!!:shocked:

Two words: Saw Palmetto

Back