• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this exhaust header any good...

dont know anything about that header, but to prevent cracking, good motor mounts are needed. my opinion is to go with aftermarket mounts as oem mounts allow too much engine movement while providing the maximum amount of vibration dampning. a flex pipe in the downpipe or between the downpipe and cat would also help, but might not be needed as the header alrerady has flexpipe built into it.

I just replaced the stock manifold on my 99 4.0 XJ with the APN header. It was really more time consuming than difficult, thanks to PB blaster everything came apart nice nice. This type of manifold may have been the better choice for me in hindsight. The APN header needed some modifications and the intake manifold needed a little grind for it all to go together right. The #1 and #6 runners look like more like the OEM manifold with this unit. So if you got the newer model intake, go for this one IMHO.

That header linked above is supposed to be great. I couldn't use it because I didn't want to mess with the EGR bung on the Renix. Your ebay link was for the HO, so if that's your engine Joe's link is what you want.

I wasn't aware new washers were necessary for the manifold studs. I reused my old ones and haven't had issues yet. Where can those be found? I've actually read someone say not to lose the old ones because replacements are around $10.

drillspot.com has them in various sizes, also called a Belleville Spring.

I also have the ineedparts/APN header and would recommend it. Just FYI, the flange is slightly thicker than stock, so the nut/washer doesn't exactly sit flat where the exhaust and intake manifolds share the same mounting stud, but I've had no issues for 2 years.

I reused the orig nuts and washers. Tighten them cold first, then re-torque hot after a few hundred miles and you shouldn't have an issue.

There are two usual problems with reusing the washers.

1. They have been lost previously and replaced with the wrong stuff.

2. They have fatigued from the repeated heat/cool process over many years.

Your choice, not like they are a pain in the a** to replace later if you guess wrong.

id pick my flex pipe up at vato zone they sell em for like 15-20 bucks iirc

Stainless steel flex mesh or the galvanized sewer pipe crap?

The cheap flex pipe available around here is that accordian type stuff- the CRSS braided whatever is more like $40.

I just replaced the DS and trans mounts, put in an APN, and a new (although it's a POS) downpipe. So far, no cracks, but only time will tell.

Back