• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ smells like fuel in the cabin.

ZenDragon

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving to work the other day and I noticed that my XJ is starting to smell a little bit like fuel. I havent noticed anything leaking from the undercarriage, not one drop. Nor has there been any notable loss of fuel that would suggest a leaky fuel line or something. Any idea here guys?

I suspect there might be an exhaust leak, but it smells really rich so Im not so sure.

Was happening to me last spring. The top of your tank may be rusted out, or one of the pinch welds (assuming you have a pre 97... do you?) or maybe (this is more likely in Arizona) the grommets for your fuel vapor recovery system have come out or dry rotted.

Also check the lines along your left frame rail, and the quick disconnect between the black plastic fuel line and the stainless steel fuel line which is located right about under the driver's left foot on the firewall/frame rail.

Either it's an exhaust leak which I don't think would give a strong fuel smell. Or the tank vent lines have been damaged either at the tank end or the charcoal canister end allowing the fuel tank vapors to enter through the a/c system.

Was happening to me last spring. The top of your tank may be rusted out, or one of the pinch welds (assuming you have a pre 97... do you?) or maybe (this is more likely in Arizona) the grommets for your fuel vapor recovery system have come out or dry rotted.

Also check the lines along your left frame rail, and the quick disconnect between the black plastic fuel line and the stainless steel fuel line which is located right about under the driver's left foot on the firewall/frame rail.

Yea its a 95, Im pretty sure its not a rust issue, this thing has almost no rust anywhere it seems unlikely that the fuel tank would be. Where are these grommets located? Can they be checked visually without ripping stuff out? I will check the fuel lines as well, thanks.

They're on top of the tank :doh: it sucks getting to them.

I'm not sure if it can be done without dropping the tank, the only time I've seen them my tank was already sitting on the driveway.

It might still be a rust issue, stuff likes to collect on top of the tank so even in AZ I wouldn't be unduly surprised. I'd bet more on the grommets coming loose / rotting away or the fitting I mentioned though.

Start at the injectors, fuel rail, follow the lines back to the tank. I would check it cold, with the engine running, that way any spilling fuel will take longer to evaporate.

Also check the EVAP system.

Just a follow up. I figured out the problem, which was actually quite easy to spot. The fuel pressure regulator valve was bad and was slowly dripping fuel when it was running. Im glad it was something so simple! :) My gas mileage has dramatically improved! haha

Glad you found it!

FYI, you can pinch off the fuel return line for a brief moment--keep it brief as the pressure can hit 95 psi or more--and that will sometimes help in locating small leaks in the engine area.

Back