• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Bearing Confusion

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I am trying to put in this Aussie in my 30 and keep running into problem after problem, not with the Aussie so much but with everything else. I am putting in new bearings and seals while I have it apart and the outer pinion bearing they say fits it is too small. When I cross referenced the number it is a pinion bearing out of a Dana 44 rear axle. They don't even have the dana 30 as having this bearing in it. Does anyone know what in the world is going on....strange. I guess I am going to replace it with the one from the dana 44 that matches, but it is harder to find too. Set me back yet another day on this half a day project.

Take the numbers off your old bearings and just take those in, they will be able to match up the part number much easier that way, you can also to the races this way.

Be very careful when replacing the bearings as you might end up having to reset the gears, I hope you checked the backlash before disassembling.

There are two pinion configurations on D30's. The low pinion takes a different outer pinion bearing than the high pinion. I have encountered this also when the parts store folks don't have the experience to provide the correct parts.

There are two pinion configurations on D30's. The low pinion takes a different outer pinion bearing than the high pinion. I have encountered this also when the parts store folks don't have the experience to provide the correct parts.

I was thinking the same thing,but the OP's profile says '99!

Take the numbers off your old bearings and just take those in, they will be able to match up the part number much easier that way, you can also to the races this way.

Be very careful when replacing the bearings as you might end up having to reset the gears, I hope you checked the backlash before disassembling.

I did not really check anything. I was just planning on replacing the shims how they were. The bearings were chewed up from losing my spiders. Is there something I need to do now? Sorry, I am a newb at this.

Back