• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 4.0L into a 96XJ how big of a PITA would it be?

Dads XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to pick up a 2000 4.0L with 45,000 miles. I want to put it in my kids 96 xj. will everything bolt up in the same location or is the 2000 have different mounting bosses for the acc.

'00 has a coil rail, '96 has a distributor. Intake and exhaust manifold(and one accessory bracket off the intake) are different.
It would probably be better to look for an earlier engine. There is a problem with the head on to '00-01 4.0 , and a small percentage of them crack, ruining the engine if you don't catch it.(usually between 50K and 100K miles) Even if you notice it, you still have to replace the head.

You'll need to swap in a dist. Use all the 96 sensors and accessories. IF it comes with an intake manifold, use the 2000 one, but you'll need to use the 96 exh. manifold. Everything else will bolt on just fine, AC, P/S, throttle body, ALT, pulleys, ect. You'll also have to drill the back of the head on the 2000 engine for the coolant temp sensor, easy to do when the engine is out.

If its got the 0331 head keep an eye out for future cracks.

I see you're in Milton, im just down the hill in Auburn. PM me if you need a hand with anything or have questions.

Back