• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you install a lift kit???

McJesse

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i bought this SkyJacker 6.5" lift on craigslist i got the coils,shocks,3"blocks for the back, and 3.5" shackles for the back.
is there anything else i would need?

Also another thing, I really don't know how to install a lift kit and the guy didn't give any instructions on how to do it.

If anyone out there knows how to do this please message me back i would really appreciate it and you would save the day for me :laugh:

one bolt at a time:repair::confused1

Ya might try setting up an install/wrenching party. I'm sure people would be more than happy to help, so long as you have all the necessary parts, and beverages.

i learned by just getting under there and doing it. if its your daily driver then that might not be smart seeing how your not going to do it in a day, and if you got it used your going to more then likly need some more parts like brake lines and bolts/nuts that are missing and what not. im only 17 and i put a a 9 inches of lift on my jeep with a long arm kit it took me a month just cause i had to keep oredering parts and i had a broken arm at the time. i say take it apart and go for it as long as you dont plan on driving the next day cause thats not happening. look around there is tons of info all over this forum

Its the only 6" lift skyjacker offers for the XJ. Yours must be old. My experience with lift blocks were crap. I'd look for full packs. I've had blocks break, and have had horrible axle wrap. But Yes, same basic idea as far as install.

Well first off. The best way to do it is work with someone who has the experience, time, and patience to help you out. Just crawl under your jeep and maybe just inspect it for a little while?... Get an idea on how the parts work together and what parts you have to replace the parts on the jeep.
Second, if everything you listed is indeed everything you have then you are short on some parts. You will need extended brake line, or just drop the stock brackets down. Atleast some sort of longer than stock lower control arms (these are the arms that keep your axle from moving forward and backward), if you dont replace them then you wont be able to adjust for proper caster very easily (caster is the angle your ball joints are in relation to the ground), it wont handle worth crap if this isnt correct, and you could get death wobble. I would actually invest in a long arm upgrade, a little bit more now but worth the money when you decide to upgrade later, 600 dollars is worth it... I would also ditch the blocks and spend 150 on a 3" add-a-leaf, especially if they are aluminum blocks.

Even though some people get annoyed, the best way to learn is ask questions. Now we have the internet, so it would always be recommended to do some searching and research on what goes into a lift.

How much experience do you have working on your Jeep?

It might help if you tell us what part you're confused about (where to start, how to remove something, etc).

6.5" is a lot of lift, and you'll need the components to go along with it. Take a look at various companies kits, and see how yours compares (RE, Iron Rock, Rustys, etc). It sounds like your kit was pieced together since it didn't come with rear leaf packs (especially at 6.5").

Worst case I'm sure a few of us local guys could lend a hand for a few hours if need be. Props to you for wanting to learn and do it yourself.

Back